cannot generate operation for simple shapetext

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
lawrencek

Re: cannot generate operation for simple shapetext

Post by lawrencek »

I just went all the way through, cos that would show that the pocket would go all the way through. I realise that would not work for all letters but in fact ok for the letters I chose.

Is there a full install for the 0.19 64 bit?

I cannot tell you more about what I did, but I followed those steps. Just could not get the routing pattern and simulate the path.

What changes are in PATH 0.19?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

m0n5t3r wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:08 pm If you want a pocket (as in, want the interior cleared up), you'll need to add some support underneath (say, make the pad 11mm and pocket depth 10mm) - you need the bottom face in order to create a pocket
That's not correct. You can select all the inner walls to create a pocket. I used the profile only, because I was too lazy to select all these walls. Now for demonstration I did it nevertheless. I took a huge step down of 2mm to save resources:
Attachments
Snip macro screenshot-ba493c.png
Snip macro screenshot-ba493c.png (32.88 KiB) Viewed 856 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Ha! Detected that the "Close loop" tool works for faces as well. It raises an error but does the job!
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
lawrencek

Post by lawrencek »

For the 0.19 64 bit iI guess I just extract the directories from the 7z and run the FreeCad exe?

I realise that some letters might bot make a valid pocker, but thet is another problem. Also the engrace operation seems to have the similar problem.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

lawrencek wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:46 am For the 0.19 64 bit iI guess I just extract the directories from the 7z and run the FreeCad exe?
Yes.
lawrencek

Post by lawrencek »

I have got FC 19, but I cannot create a proper operation for my text.

I will tell you again what I did.

PART DESIGN: Created a new design
PART DESIGN: Created a body
PART DESIGN: created a sketch and padded it suitably
DRAFT: Created a shapetext using courier TTF font for "TEXT" (no loops)
IDRAFT: it seemed I needed to create a sketch from the shapetext - otherwise I got invalid type.
PART DESIGN: I mapped the above to the top face, and positioned it.
PART DESIGN: I created a pocket from the text sketch, all the way through.
PATH: created a job
PATH: from now on:
set the default tool to 0.05mm
tried to create an operation on the pocket.

I tried selecting a pocket face and closing the loop. It gave an error but still did it.
Tried all FACE and EDGE operations

Is there a tutorial on how to get PATH to do this. I would like to have all the letters in a group so then I can do them all at once.. I really think that PATH cannot do it - I have tried so hard.

Thanks
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

From your example PathPocket works here for T and E, but not for S. Can you do the T as well? The S may fail due to poor font properties, or too complicated B-splines.
lawrencek wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:23 pm I would like to have all the letters in a group so then I can do them all at once.
You can add the faces of more than one pocket to a pocket operation, but you cannot just say something like "pocket this whole ShapeString".
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Surprisingly does the Profile operation work well on the S.
lawrencek

Post by lawrencek »

Thanks for your help. I think I have found out what I was doing wrong.

Mainly, when I select an operation I need to select the face(s) I am processing. I now have found that I have to do this within the operation rather than before I choose it. Now complete loop works and makes sense. I have more experimenting to do, but I think I am on a home run.

Engraving allows me to select the whole shapestring and can also cut to the bottom. But as expected the centre not the edge of the tool follows the text line. Normally I would use a stick font.

Thanks again for your help!!!! :D