Not possible to set step down for edge profile operation

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
falviani

Not possible to set step down for edge profile operation

Post by falviani »

Hi

My setup:
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.20276 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 3a0d9e8c514c163be0b750dd75bb4f2afe4f94f1
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)

In the attached file (a drilling template for a CNC Router wasteboard) I have a grid of 1/4" diameter by 1/4" deep holes, using a edge pocket operation. These define where I will manually complete the holes with a slightly larger drill so I can install 1/4-20 anchors for clamps.

No matter what I do, I cannot set the step down to 2mm. I always use the formula editor and clear the field, then go back to the formula editor to set the desired value. As a result of this, while I have -2mm set for the initial depth, -6.35mm set for the final depth, and 2mm set for the stepdown, the system generates code with an initial depth of -3.17mm, a 2nd depth of -6.34mm and a final depth of -6.35mm - NOT what I wanted. I regard this as a clear bug (in general, setting values in the dialogs in the path workbench is pretty flaky). Is there a work around for this?
Thanks in advance,
Frank
Attachments
WasteBoardDrillTemplate_v_2_1-4deep_drill_1-8bit.FCStd
(369.9 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Russ4262

Re: Not possible to set step down for edge profile operation

Post by Russ4262 »

Evening Mr. Alviani,
I downloaded your file and am taking a look at the step-down issue.

Russell.
Russ4262

Post by Russ4262 »

Evening Sir.
falviani wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:36 pm ... No matter what I do, I cannot set the step down to 2mm. I always use the formula editor and clear the field, then go back to the formula editor to set the desired value. ...

Unfortunately, the PathWB is having some problems with its input boxes. The problem you describe has been reported, but under another topic. The problem is not the `Step Down` property, nor its input box.

The problem is the `Start Depth` input and its expression input box, and then the `Final Depth`. What is happening is the `Start Depth` custom expression is failing somewhere in the code and FC/Qt is not recovering. Consequently, subsequent input boxes are not processed correctly, thus messing up your `Final Depth` and `Step Down` input boxes.

The Qt class used for the `Start Depth` and `Final Depth` is the `Gui::QuantitySpinBox` class. It is buggy lately (don't know why !). Nonetheless, stay calm and use the work around posted at Re: drilling op refuses user values.

In the `row1` operation, I set the `Start Depth` expression back to `OpStartDepth` and the `Step Down` expression now works correctly. If you wish to modify the `Start Depth`, follow the strategy at the link.

Cheers,
Russ

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.20306 +15 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: Surface_Waterline_Split
Hash: 09bf75d05ecad61a9eabe3a6566087532d1d723b
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Attachments
WasteBoardDrillTemplate_v_2_1-4deep_drill_1-8bit_A-1.png
WasteBoardDrillTemplate_v_2_1-4deep_drill_1-8bit_A-1.png (116.83 KiB) Viewed 430 times
falviani

Post by falviani »

Hi,

Many thanks!! I set the start depth expression to opstartdepth-opstartdepth (i.e. 0) and now all works as desired. The Z values in the generated code are -2, -4, -6, -6.35.

Upstream bugs are a real pain...

Again, thanks!
Frank