Bizarre Generated Code from Millface Operation?

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
falviani

Re: Bizarre Generated Code from Millface Operation?

Post by falviani »

FreeCad:
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.20477 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 7d8ab175a68e476427e6e337fe3099b52da49dc8
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)

1) Reload file and recompute.
2) Use --no-show-editor
3) Export to gcode.
4) Step down is still 0.5mm
No change - output file is still 1053K,

I also tried doing a separate file, using a path pocket operation with almost identical parameters (1mm stepdown rather than 0.5 mm). Also produced 1053K File. Attached. A first guess is that they're both using the same algorithm, but I have no evidence for that.
Attachments
WasteBoard_PocketSurface_1mm.FCStd
(242.47 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

falviani wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:51 pm 1) Reload file and recompute.
2) Use --no-show-editor
You either did something different from your description or you didn't upload the right file. --no-show-editor is not set.

I have the same situation as before:
- Loading your file and directly exporting GCode takes 10 minutes to show in the editor and creates a 28000 lines file.
- doing a full recompute before doing the rest in the same ways results in a file of 200 lines without noticeable time lag.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.20406 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: bb45a2b01f9aafeae00cdf60c87b43fc36ad28ad
Python version: 3.8.2
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: C/Default (C)
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

What happens if you inspect the GCode? If you mark the lines you should see the coloured mill paths.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
falviani

Post by falviani »

I double checked twice and the --no-show-editor argument is definitely set. The file is attached. Also, I had started running the simulator - and it had repeated the paths more than twice - when my wife called for dinner. When I came back roughly 35 minutes later the simulator was still running. The saved file from this with the correct time stamp was still 1053 KB. I can't think of anything else.
Attachments
SurfacingTest.FCStd
(217.72 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
Russ4262

Post by Russ4262 »

I can reproduce the results with MillFace. I have not tested the other PathAreaOp-based operations. Yes, @FAlviani, MillFace and PocketShape use the same algorithm, Path.Area().

I did notice that changing the OffsetPattern to Line, Spiral, or Triangle removes the repetitive gcode issue. This suggests the problem is in Path.Area(). Further testing confirms problem is post-20276 nightly. Suggests recent Path.Area() commit on 5 April might be the issue. Running personal test file on 20276 yields correct g-code for inspection. 20477 produces erroneous g-code.

Russ
m0n5t3r

Post by m0n5t3r »

Sorry, I got thrown off by the initial post saying it's 1050 MB (not kB) and didn't look closer

The issue seems to be with whatever is generating the zigzag:
  • zigzag goes back and forth forever (edit: like it's missing a stop condition or something; I thought maybe it was a rounding error on finish depth, but if you set finish depth to non-zero it does the same)
  • offset does a single pass; if you also make it keep the tool down, it's pretty efficient
  • zigzagoffset does the perimeter, then zigzag printer goes brrr (same as zigzag on its own)
  • spiral is as broken as ever
  • line works, does a single pass; with keep tool down it's almost like zigzag, but with a 3d printer-ish way of sorting paths
  • the weirdo options (grid and triangle) also work correctly (I assume the results are pretty if you surface something shiny)
dubstar-04

Post by dubstar-04 »

m0n5t3r wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:23 am
[*] the weirdo options (grid and triangle) also work correctly (I assume the results are pretty if you surface something shiny)

The weirdo options! Ha ha, that has made my day. :D

We should vote on removing them from the options.

Thanks,

Dan
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

falviani wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:07 am I double checked twice and the --no-show-editor argument is definitely set.
Yes, here it is. And as to be expected after Russ' post, it still behaves the same. If you urgently need some GCodes - e.g. because if you cannot get to your mill you go on the nerves of your wife - you may upload the final file, and someone here will recompute it.
Russ4262

Post by Russ4262 »

Paging Dr. RealThunder
realthunder wrote:ping

I think the recent change to Path.Area() might be the culprit for the issue experienced here. When you have time, will you please check. I went back to 20276 release last night and the issue does not occur. I'm using 20477 and I have the issue experienced here, like @falviani and @m0n5t3r.

Thank you, Sir.
Russ
falviani

Post by falviani »

It's not urgent - I have my wasteboard surfaced adequately. But I wanted to point out a problem. Now that others have reproduced it, I'm confident it will be tracked down and squashed quickly. :D