New Property: Feed Rate Factor [Canceled]

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Russ4262

New Property: Feed Rate Factor [Canceled]

Post by Russ4262 »

This property is for the hobbyists using FreeCAD. Some of us have three bits - two of which are broken because we are learning about the importance of feed rates, step overs, step downs, and spindle rpm. So, we need one tool controller for our one surviving endmill, and will set it to a safe rate, for say, all the clearing we will do. But, we need to slow the rate for the profile operations that engage material at 100% tool diameter, or other non-clearing operations that dictate a different feed rate. So this is a small quality-of-life improvement.

This property will allow us to adjust the Tool Controller fixed feed rate by a factor for each operation as needed, instead of having to duplicate the Tool Controller for the sake of a different feed rate for the same tool.

This PR only affects regular horizontal and vertical feed rates, not the rapid rates. The same factor will likely need to be applied to the axial feed rate in the code for each rotationally-capable operation.

Path: Add `FeedRateFactor` property to operations. #3491

If the community here disapproves, I will delete the PR.
One idea for additional improvement is to add a read-only property to display the effective feed rate for the operation.

Russ

Update: The aforementioned PR has been closed due to the result of discussion in this thread.
Attachments
FeedRateFactor_1.png
FeedRateFactor_1.png (115.47 KiB) Viewed 1318 times
Last edited by Russ4262 on Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: New Property: Feed Rate Factor

Post by chrisb »

My very old mill has a button for this, FreeCAD should have it too. It may be discussed if a dressup wouldn't be a better place for this. If one dressup could be applied to several operations - even better.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
dubstar-04

Post by dubstar-04 »

Russ4262 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 4:20 am
Path: Add `FeedRateFactor` property to operations. #3491

If the community here disapproves, I will delete the PR.
One idea for additional improvement is to add a read-only property to display the effective feed rate for the operation.

Russ
I think this is a great idea Russ!

For completeness, do you think it would be possible to visually indicate that there is an overide inplace?

Adding text to the Op label or modifying the icon for example?

Thanks,

Dan
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

Hi Russ,

sounds like a good idea to me, also the place where to adjust.
Using a Dressup, like Chris sugests, would need some more clicks and is also more confusing in my mind.
Gruß Herbert
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

herbk wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 7:34 am Using a Dressup, like Chris sugests, would need some more clicks and is also more confusing in my mind.
More clicks - yes, but why confusing? In fact it is a dressup, because it is a modification of an existing operation. And it would be immediately visible in the tree.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

Hi Chris,

OK,confusing isn't the best word..., but i don't know a better for it...

I don't see that as a dressup, it's just a changable value of an OPs property, - like Step down or Step over...
Gruß Herbert
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

I think it is fine in the property panel, but I would not clutter the task panel with too many options. (The PR appears to modify only the property panel.)

A suggestion to consider would be to have separate factors for vertical and horizontal moves.

Gene
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

This property will allow us to adjust the Tool Controller fixed feed rate by a factor for each operation as needed, instead of having to duplicate the Tool Controller for the sake of a different feed rate for the same tool.
But this is exactly the reason that tool controllers exist.

IMHO operations should only concern themselves with the path for the tool to follow. I don't think they should have any properties related to the tool itself, either feed rate or spindle control.

I don't doubt that the need you're feeling is real. There's certainly something here that the hobbyist needs (maybe the professional too) but let's talk about the need a bit more before we implement a solution.
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

Whilst my comment may not carry the weight that Sliptonic's does i have to agree with him.

My first reaction was the same : "but don't we already have tool controllers?"

Operations provide paths. What tool and what parameters we apply to that path should be independent. At least that's my current opinion as a CNC user.

Perhaps the problem deserves to be phrased accurately and a suitable solution devised.

Edit: I realise I'm basically paraphrasing Sliptonic. Sorry for plagiarism.
roerich_64
Veteran

Post by roerich_64 »

sliptonic wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 4:09 pm
But this is exactly the reason that tool controllers exist.

IMHO operations should only concern themselves with the path for the tool to follow. I don't think they should have any properties related to the tool itself, either feed rate or spindle control.

I don't doubt that the need you're feeling is real. There's certainly something here that the hobbyist needs (maybe the professional too) but let's talk about the need a bit more before we implement a solution.
The word was 'Feed Rate Factor'

we don't need them in FreeCAD... Why?

The constructeur shoult plan the right parameters before creating the paths...

Then the mashinist should do by himself test the speeds...

How can he do this?
He overwrite the speeds directly at the mashine...

And then:
When the mashinist and the constructer are friends ;) the mashinist give a feedback to the constructer...

Walter
Die Liebe wird siegen, denn sie ist unzerstörbar :) ;)