BUG - xxxxxx

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
nahshon

BUG - xxxxxx

Post by nahshon »

Path Profile is broken again. Looks like too many changes are committed without any testing.

Problem happened when I make changes to height and then pressed "Apply". Instead of moving to the point and plunging vertically it just moves diagonally into the material with a clear intention of causing damage.
screenshot.png
screenshot.png (4.58 KiB) Viewed 12421 times
OS: Fedora 31 (KDE Plasma) (KDE//usr/share/xsessions/plasma)
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.21424 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 63bdb75a32d971daf214d3e46ac0b1a36f6c908e
Python version: 3.7.7
Qt version: 5.13.2
Coin version: 3.1.3
OCC version: 7.4.0.beta
Locale: English/United States (en_US)

-- Itai
Attachments
test-part.FCStd
(31.97 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: BUG? No Bug

Post by chrisb »

No Bug!
You changed the Expressions for the Depths to fixed values. These are, of course, not updated, when you change the height.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
nahshon

Post by nahshon »

chrisb wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:02 pm No Bug!
You changed the Expressions for the Depths to fixed values. These are, of course, not updated, when you change the height.
Are you serious?
The depth expressions are useless in 99% of the times. The heights are no more than suggestions. In many cases they need to be changed in order to avoid fixtures. Changing a height means that I want to have the horizontal G0 move at a different height, In this case the G0 was just removed!
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

nahshon wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:04 pm Are you serious?
Yes, of course I am! But may I ask what you expected when setting fixed values? Which fixed values should be changed? in your case it's the StartDepth, but why not the FinalDepth or the position of the stock? Or the dimensions of your model?

If you want values to follow your changes you of course have to enable it. You don't have to use the predefined expressions but in that case you should have changed expressions nevertheless. If you want to start 1 mm higher, subtract 1 from the predefined expression and don't set a fixed value. Seriously!
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
GeneFC
Veteran

Re: BUG - xxxxxx

Post by GeneFC »

I played with this file for a while, and there is definitely something wrong.

The "fix", if you want to call it, is to click on the expression for the starting depth and then click OK. The correct behavior is then shown. I did not touch the manually entered parameter at all.

There is some sort of recomputation going on, but I do not know what is happening. A standard recompute does not work the same way.

Either the file has a broken history or the starting depth entry box is not closing properly.

I almost always override the expressions, and I have never seen this sort of problem.

Gene
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

OK, I have done a bunch more this morning. The profile operation is definitely broken in the way it handles start and finish depths.

Here's what I tried.

Fresh start with

Version: 0.19.21329 (Git)
Hash: 2330eef823b32ac412d839031cc174353a76b013
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0

* Part Design WB
* Create Sketch (simple rectangle in x-y plane)
* Pad (defaults)
* Path WB
* Create Job (OK to all defaults)
* Create Profile
* Select top face and Add
* Select OK, using all defaults

Result is that the OpFinalDepth suddenly jumps to the top of the object. It was fine when the Profile operation was entered. It appears that other Opxxx are scrambled as well.

If I play around a bit more I can usually get back to normal, but not always.

I would say that the new combination Profile operation has some bugs.

[Edit] I should add that the whole-body version of profile (no selection at all in Base-Geometry) seems to work correctly. Only the face and edge versions have the problem with Op depths.

Gene
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I think that is ok. If you just select the top face, then the profile is profiling only that face, which means it ends at the top.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

I don't think that is the way it worked in the past when there were separate commands.

It would not make a lot of sense for the finish depth to be at the top of the object. There would never be any cut at all.

I just tried again with:

Version: 0.19.21097 (Git)
Hash: a5ab09aa0941cc945e59848897b160f8cbfc0831
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0

Worked fine. Something happened in the past two weeks. Version 21097 is dated May 16, and version 21329 is dated May 30.

[Update] Version 21189 dated May 22 works, version 21280, dated May 26 does not.

Gene
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

I did a bit more digging. It looks likely that PR 3490 on May 25 caused the problem. There were several changes to the depth settings, and the date matches what I observed above.

Update

I have verified that the changes near line 288 are the cause of this problem. I simply reverted the change in my local copy of PathProfile.py and everything works again. Of course I certainly broke something else, so it's back to Russ.
Russ4262 wrote:
Gene
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

I guess I did not do the "ping" correctly. Trying again.
Russ4262 wrote: ping
Gene