Path WB@ no Z jog

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freman
Veteran

Path WB@ no Z jog

Post by freman »

Hi,

I need to move z=0 down a few mm.

In job setup I have a set of turquoise buttons to jog X and Y origin and a button to set z=0 to some feature on the model. But no means to jog z origin.

I need to set z=0 3mm down from the highest point in the model. How can I do this ?

TIA.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.21806 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 68b98f5ffead8d90b2e9f6308ca55acefd758352
Python version: 3.7.7
Qt version: 5.13.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/United Kingdom (en_GB)
Attachments
no-z-jog.png
no-z-jog.png (68.34 KiB) Viewed 1253 times
GeneFC
Veteran

Re: Path WB@ no Z jog

Post by GeneFC »

Moved to Path forum.
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

This is one of the reasons i like creating a datum point that i then set the reference to.
In your case, my solution is a workaround. In many cases it enables accurate and parametric positioning of the ref.
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

RatonLaveur wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:43 pm This is one of the reasons i like creating a datum point that i then set the reference to.
In your case, my solution is a workaround. In many cases it enables accurate and parametric positioning of the ref.
Thanks, I had not thought of using a datum point.

I've set one at about the right spot but when I go to edit Setup for the job it does not seem visible, so I can't use it.

What am I missing?
evoud3

Post by evoud3 »

My workaround is (temporarily) decreasing the stock size in the Z direction, then selecting one of it's vertices/corners and clicking 'Set Origin'. You might have to untick 'Link Stock and Model' for this to work. After setting the origin, you can increase the stock size again.

You might be able to edit the coordinates of the Origin point in one of the properties tabs as well.
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

The GUI tools for moving the model just adjust the placement property of the model clone. You can always adjust that placement manually in the property pane, including the Z position.
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

Thanks Slip' , it is not really obvious what is being adjusted from within the UI, so that tip is very helpful.

It's never been problem for me before because I've always been able to find a convenient point on the part but there is not reason why that would always be possible.

Ultimately it would be nice to have two more buttons. I don't see why Z got left out of this.

Anyway that trick solves my immediate problem. Thanks.
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

freman wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:15 pm I've set one at about the right spot but when I go to edit Setup for the job it does not seem visible, so I can't use it.
I have never had an issue seeing and referencing the datums produced by the WorkFeatures Workbench. Perhaps the actual datums from Part Design are different entities.