Ticket #4411 - Can only generate pocket once for this shape, then it fails.

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Syres
Veteran

Re: Can only generate pocket once for this shape, then it fails.

Post by Syres »

This is the best but poor effort fix I can come up with for now, replacement PathPocketShape.py and test file attached. Those who use 4th Axis regularly are encouraged to test that it's not caused other regressions. Tested only on Linux for now, will verify on Windows later.
Attachments
PathPocketShapeTest.FCStd
(122.88 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
PathPocketShape.py
(43.83 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
Syres
Veteran

Re: Ticket #4411 - Can only generate pocket once for this shape, then it fails.

Post by Syres »

Russ4262 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:46 pm PR #3763: Path: PocketShape - Fixes ticket #4411
Thanks for the efforts Russ, tested almost successfully by backing out my hack and implementing your proper PR on top of:

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.22193 (Git)
Build type: Unknown
Branch: master
Hash: 488419cd73895b305283270e643683b12b1fe8d5
Python version: 3.6.9
Qt version: 5.9.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedKingdom (en_GB)

If you delete all the existing Operations from PathPocketshapeTest.FCStd file above and create Pocket Shape on Face 22 using defaults except for Rotation on A and then subsequently change the Stepover from 100 to say 75 the path flips to the other side but I thought the Reverse Direction was supposed to bring it back to the correct side, this no longer works for me?
Russ4262

Post by Russ4262 »

PR #3763: Path: PocketShape - Fixes ticket #4411

Updated:
- Fixes rotational `LimitDepthToFace` feature
- Fixes `InverseAngle` feature when identifying necessary rotational needs for model. This fix hides the `ReverseDirection` property, as it should be superseded by recent implementation of `isFaceUp()` method. The hidden property is left in-tact in case testing reveals a need for restored user accessibility.
- Fixes reference to undefined `ns` variable. This fix might need additional attention with more rotational testing.
- Updates initial fix to include rounding per suggestion by @vocx on PR review
racemaniac

Post by racemaniac »

Is there a next step in administration of this ticket?

I see Russ committed fixes which were now merged into master, so i assume the bug is fixed, but i see no status changes of the ticket on the tracker? The wiki about the tracker ( https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Tracker ) is a good start, but isn't there some workflow somewhere that makes clear what happens when? It similarly wasn't clear at what point a formal ticket on the tracker should be made.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

We are not too formal here and I think that's good. It is better to get things done than to manage them.

The process is described here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5236. Errors and features are to be discussed here in the forum, and we try to discuss and prepare them before creating a ticket, so that the developers have as little as possible overhead when they work on the ticket.

You see that Russ could have closed the ticket, but he can, of course, wait until it is in master and he gets some feedback.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.