LinuxCNC and Path blending tolerance

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sliptonic
Veteran

LinuxCNC and Path blending tolerance

Post by sliptonic »

I saw this come up in another discussion and it reminded me that I had an issue with it myself last weekend.

I was doing an adaptive clearing on three holes. One of the holes would exit on the side closest to the next hole. The safe and clearance heights were plenty high enough but as the hole got deeper, the cutter started nicking the edge of the hole as it exited. The problem was that LinuxCNC is blending the G0 retraction move with the G0 rapid to the next hole.

Our default LinuxCNC postprocessor preamble has no tolerance setting for G64 and no argument to set it. So the user either has to edit the postprocessor or hand-edit the gcode.

I would suggest that the default preamble add a

Code: Select all

G64 P0.025
to force the path tolerance to 25 micron. Is that tolerance too tight/loose for a default?

Should we also add an argument so it can be easily overridden?
herbk
Veteran

Re: LinuxCNC and Path blending tolerance

Post by herbk »

Hi sliptonic,
The problem was that LinuxCNC is blending the G0 retraction move with the G0 rapid to the next hole.
realy, ? I never noticed that...
Gruß Herbert
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

sliptonic wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:03 pm Is that tolerance too tight/loose for a default?
I set mine to G64 P0.001 in "inferial" units, which is the same. I tried tighter and looser, and that is what worked for me. I do not see any slowdowns, and I do not see any blending problems. I would like to be able to work with 10x greater precision, but realistically 0.001 inch is all I can expect with my machines.

I typically work with difficult materials like stainless steel, so my needs may be different from someone working in aluminum or non-metals. That is why I suggested testing in the other thread.

Gene
cahlfors

Post by cahlfors »

GeneFC wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:36 pm "inferial" units
:lol:

When people from "imperial territory" talk about thousandths and microns, I really don't know what to expect... And if there is no clue to their origin... :roll:
electrical engineer
Ubuntu or Mint
Mendel 3d-printer/OctoPrint
LinuxCNC
Optimum BF20L mill
oeliks

Post by oeliks »

Well I noticed this today also :? Fortunately on a test piece made from foam ;)

G0 Z10 F10
G0 X10 F100
Will blend to:

G0 X10 Z10 F100
But G1,2,3 G codes are not blended.

So now Im not setting any feeds in FC, and then find&replece G1 -> G1 Fxxx, and then G0 to G1 Fyyy etc.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

oeliks wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:11 pm Well I noticed this today also
That looks like sort sort of problem, but it has nothing to do with the topic.

LinuxCNC does the blending inside its trajectory planner. What you are reporting is in the G-code.

Gene
oeliks

Post by oeliks »

The problem was that LinuxCNC is blending the G0 retraction move with the G0 rapid to the next hole
I tried to describe the exact same problem.

Freecad postprocessor for Linux CNC generates G0 codes one after another, but Linux CNC will blend this two G0 g-codes in to one.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=culLVxEmFuE
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

I understand the problem.

The "solution" is that you need to set up LinuxCNC correctly. It is not done in G-code, and it really has nothing to do with FreeCAD. (Other than FC helping issue the G64 code).

Gene
Joneb

Post by Joneb »

I've always set mine to G64 P .5 which is acurate enough for what I do mainly wood if you set it to low it may slow your machine down. I'm suprised that other users haven't picked up on this as I had a problem write at the start using LinuxCNC cutting out letters they just didn't look right.
I edit the post processor.
John
jbraun

Post by jbraun »

cahlfors wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:27 pm When people from "imperial territory" talk about thousandths and microns, I really don't know what to expect... And if there is no clue to their origin... :roll:
Yes, decscibing dimensions as mm or " isn't much extra effort :)

Adding G64 option in the Jobs "Arguments" and displayed in that mouse-over might be better than setting a default ?
Also does [--precision= ] argument only work posting metric ?
For English help on youtube check out Joko Engineering or Mango Jelly Solutions.
Look for recent videos, this software is updated at a rapid pace.