Ticket #4433 - profile operation cut side reset

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
User avatar
xf3qc
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:29 pm

Ticket #4433 - profile operation cut side reset

Postby xf3qc » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:10 pm

when re-selecting/changing geometry on existing profile operation, cut side is reset to "outside" even if it was set to "inside" prior.

0.19 Rev 22044
Last edited by Kunda1 on Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added ticket number to thread title
chrisb
Posts: 26920
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:14 am

Re: profile operation cut side reset

Postby chrisb » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:21 am

I cannot confirm. Please load the attached file, double click one of the profiles, cut side stays inside.

OS: macOS High Sierra (10.13)
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.22246 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: abd18ff88f7682e9b1160c36bb785b14a33473ef
Python version: 3.8.5
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: C/Default (C)
Attachments
profileInside.FCStd
(19.13 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
User avatar
xf3qc
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:29 pm

Re: profile operation cut side reset

Postby xf3qc » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:46 am

chrisb wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:21 am
I cannot confirm. Please load the attached file, double click one of the profiles, cut side stays inside.

OS: macOS High Sierra (10.13)
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.22246 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: abd18ff88f7682e9b1160c36bb785b14a33473ef
Python version: 3.8.5
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: C/Default (C)
Image


OS: Debian GNU/Linux bullseye/sid (XFCE/lightdm-xsession)
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.22044 (Git)
Build type: Unknown
Branch: master
Hash: f5f9eb7161a07caaaf797032cf4849a591d0970d
Python version: 3.8.4
Qt version: 5.14.2
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: English/Canada (en_CA)
chrisb
Posts: 26920
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:14 am

Re: profile operation cut side reset

Postby chrisb » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:04 am

Fancy colors, I almost didn't recognize that it is FreeCAD.
I can reproduce the issue. The cut side is reset when the last edge is removed.
herbk
Posts: 1871
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:45 pm
Location: Windsbach, Bavarya (Germany)

Re: profile operation cut side reset

Postby herbk » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:02 am

OK... but is it realy an issue?

It is not only the cut side reseted, the whole OP is deleted (you can see the the green line for the path disapers). Contour ops are "closed loop" ops, if you delete one of the edges to mill, the OP isn't closed and get's invalid.
That's my assessment to this behavior...
Gruß Herbert
memfis
Posts: 209
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:58 pm

Re: profile operation cut side reset

Postby memfis » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:17 am

chrisb wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:21 am
I cannot confirm. Please load the attached file, double click one of the profiles, cut side stays inside.
And I confirm and have previously reported it.
chrisb
Posts: 26920
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:14 am

Re: profile operation cut side reset

Postby chrisb » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:38 am

Meanwhile see here:
chrisb wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:04 am
I can reproduce the issue.
User avatar
xf3qc
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:29 pm

Re: profile operation cut side reset

Postby xf3qc » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:23 pm

so would it be appropriate to post this as issue on https://tracker.freecadweb.org now?
chrisb
Posts: 26920
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:14 am

Re: profile operation cut side reset

Postby chrisb » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:13 pm

xf3qc wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:23 pm
so would it be appropriate to post this as issue on https://tracker.freecadweb.org now?
I would like to hear some more voices before creating a ticket. As herbk pointed out, it may be sensible to reset the operation if all edges are removed.
User avatar
xf3qc
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:29 pm

Re: profile operation cut side reset

Postby xf3qc » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:31 am

herbk wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:02 am
OK... but is it realy an issue?

It is not only the cut side reseted, the whole OP is deleted (you can see the the green line for the path disapers). Contour ops are "closed loop" ops, if you delete one of the edges to mill, the OP isn't closed and get's invalid.
That's my assessment to this behavior...
ooops.. missed your reply initially.

1. User assumes that the OP is already configured and not realizing that "Cut side" resets.

Happened to me several times, and still keeps on happening even now that I am aware of this. It's easy not to notice until it's actually milling.

2. If replacing geometry completely = "whole OP is deleted" shouldn't other OP settings reset as well (like direction)?