thread milling?

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
GeneFC
Veteran

Re: thread milling?

Post by GeneFC »

bowcoastie wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:01 pm Is there something else I need to download to get the threadmilling operation in my version of FreeCad?
I do not believe there is an clickable icon yet in the standard distribution. You need to use the top row Path menu and select Specialty Operations.

Gene
bowcoastie

Post by bowcoastie »

Hello Gene,
Thank you for your response. I have looked through all the menus in the Path work bench and I don't see any specialty operations. I found the threadmilling
Threadmill2.png
Threadmill2.png (6.09 KiB) Viewed 3360 times
icon in Tools>Customize and added it to the Path in a custom tool bar. With this I am now able to run the operation. Thank you to everyone who got this going! :D
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You have to enable Path experimental to get it in the regular menu.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

chrisb wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:44 pm You have to enable Path experimental to get it in the regular menu.
That hurdle has probably outlived its usefulness. :roll:

Gene
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

GeneFC wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:26 am
chrisb wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:44 pm You have to enable Path experimental to get it in the regular menu.

Gene
Are you suggesting thread milling is stable and mature enough to be made public?
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

No, not specifically thread milling. The other operations, such as 3D surface, work reasonably well, however.

I am just suggesting that the "experimental" operations should be more visible. Perhaps with a warning like Firefox, "You may break your system. I promise to be careful".

Gene
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

Most of those have a dependency on OCL which is currently not a requirement for FC. I get your point though, maybe we could add a checkbox with corresponding warning message to the preferences.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

GeneFC wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:26 am
I don't know about the thread milling but the other functions are indeed well tested and could be moved from experimental to regular.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

PR-4387

EDIT: feel free to suggest different wording, I'm not the most eloquent person :mrgreen:
EDIT 2: I have argued against exposing the experimental feature flag in the past. Today I think that some of those ops are used a lot and we can't move them out of experimental for 0.19, so this might be the lesser of two evils.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

mlampert wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:53 am Today I think that some of those ops are used a lot and we can't move them out of experimental for 0.19, so this might be the lesser of two evils.
Regarding the argument: do you mean can or can't?