is there 5 axis

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sliptonic
Veteran

Re: is there 5 axis

Post by sliptonic »

Muzzer wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:00 pm Next thing is to make my second ever post!
Excellent!
I didn't realise that educational users were exempt from these draconian restrictions. Are you certain?
I actually spoke to someone at PocketNC and that is what they told me.
When I say 4th axis, I mean simultaneous ("continuous" in your parlance) 4 axis operation, rather than "just" indexed 4th axis. 5th axis operation in any form isn't likely to happen with me any time soon. Is 4th axis continuous operation reasonably stable now?
It probably hasn't had a lot of testing. There just aren't that many users with 4ths running. By all means, test the hell out of it.
The Shiz has Centroid Acorn, which seems to have a Freecad post processor. That's a good start....
A chrisb noted the Centroid post is really old. It was written for some of their old big-iron not for the little Acorn. I've had a chance to play with the Acorn and was impressed with the hardware but disappointed with the artificial limitations that Centroid built into the cheap tier control software.

The hardware seems to be doing the hard realtime stuff on a Beaglebone green with the control running on the PC. This is almost exactly the model that Machinekit was pushing after they forked from LinuxCNC. I always wondered if the Acorn firmware could be replaced with Machinekit. That would be a really impressive control for not a lot of $$.

The present control software has a hard limit (very low) on the number of lines of gcode that it can process. It would be fun to write a custom post for the acorn that could take a big gcode file and split it into pieces with a retract and pause at the end of each file. Then the hobbyist would have to load each file in turn but could process really big files without paying for the upgrade.
adamLange

Post by adamLange »

I made a part, a cylinder head, with HackerCAD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NdUf9BO_pg

What I learned here about making finish profiles will be useful going forward into making 5-axis finishing profiles.
orangezero

Post by orangezero »

I just wanted to throw out one option if people want a decent low cost hardware option to play with 5 axis. Someone converted grbl to the esp32 and it easily controls six motors at once, and could do other simultaneous small servos. Bart Dring sells boards on tindie which use simple motor driver sockets or you can wire up your own. Some 3d printer boards could work, but lack inputs or outputs cnc users need.

I just wanted to alleviate the fear anyone may have that 5 axis has to be expensive in 2021, at least to experiment with.

Also wanted to say thanks for the work done so far. I ended up on fusion 360 but would love to learn freeCAD if it can do all I need. The 3+2 may actually be all I actually need, and it seems further along than I suspected from reading this thread.
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

Control is definitely getting affordable.
But does anyone have a low cost 5 axis kit for hardware?
The 5Axismaker is interesting but it's still at least $6k.
harshmacwan

Post by harshmacwan »

adamLange wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:55 pm I made a part, a cylinder head, with HackerCAD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NdUf9BO_pg

What I learned here about making finish profiles will be useful going forward into making 5-axis finishing profiles.

I tried to run according to the steps you have given but It went through lot of errors in open modelica. I have left my job and I am ready to help the community if someone can help me to run a first trial from the team. If the concept is working, I can turn this into freecad workbench.
adamLange

Post by adamLange »

harshmacwan,

What are the errors that you are seeing?
harshmacwan

Post by harshmacwan »

adamLange wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 4:57 pm harshmacwan,

What are the errors that you are seeing?
I am attaching the screen shots.

When we run the simulator, it compiles successfully and runs the simulator on a specific port (though there some errors in the log (refer Simulation_log_1 and Simulation_Error.png))
After that, we have executed the pass_1.py file from the terminal. It does send the data via socket. But then after the process hangs at data = self.socket.recv(1024) in IKClient.py. (refer the attached file for more details)

Can you help us in running the simulation successfully? Looking forward to hearing from you.
Attachments
Simulation_Error.png
Simulation_Error.png (512.03 KiB) Viewed 3889 times
output_pass_1_1.py.png
output_pass_1_1.py.png (294.15 KiB) Viewed 3889 times
output_pass_1.py.png
output_pass_1.py.png (290.53 KiB) Viewed 3889 times
OMEdit_Version.png
OMEdit_Version.png (423.06 KiB) Viewed 3889 times
Modelica_Machine.png
Modelica_Machine.png (263.35 KiB) Viewed 3889 times
adamLange

Post by adamLange »

Hi Harshmacwan,

It looks like modelica is failing to solve the first pose. The most common cause of a failure to solve is when a target-to-tool spring approaches zero length. The problem might be that the first pose to solve in pass_1.py is coincident with the initial conditions in the modelica model. You can double click any joint in the modelica model and alter it's initial conditions. First try starting the x-axis joint to 0.001 m and the A-axis to 1 degree.

Please try that and let me know how it goes.

Adam
harshmacwan

Post by harshmacwan »

adamLange wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:08 am Hi Harshmacwan,

It looks like modelica is failing to solve the first pose. The most common cause of a failure to solve is when a target-to-tool spring approaches zero length. The problem might be that the first pose to solve in pass_1.py is coincident with the initial conditions in the modelica model. You can double click any joint in the modelica model and alter it's initial conditions. First try starting the x-axis joint to 0.001 m and the A-axis to 1 degree.

Adam
Thanks Adam

I am on it today will update you asap.
harshmacwan

Post by harshmacwan »

harshmacwan wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:35 am
adamLange wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:08 am Hi Harshmacwan,

Adam
Thanks Adam

I am on it today will update you asap.

We are getting segmentation fault issue when the simulation trying to call the python APIs.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2021-06-02 22-07-51.png
Screenshot from 2021-06-02 22-07-51.png (238.7 KiB) Viewed 3745 times
Screenshot from 2021-06-02 22-09-12.png
Screenshot from 2021-06-02 22-09-12.png (277.57 KiB) Viewed 3745 times