nominating B-axis for post processor ?

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bmsaus4ax

nominating B-axis for post processor ?

Post by bmsaus4ax »

Is there a way to nominate the physical 4th axis rotation axis. Post processing for me is currently around A-axis (rotation around X-axis), is it possible to output for B-Axis (rotation around Y-axis) ?
A separate question on post processor; can the formatting of gcode output identifiers be edited? I have a motion controller that uses some non standard letters for a couple of cycle operations.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: nominating B-axis for post processor ?

Post by chrisb »

That sounds as if you need a dedicated postprocessor.
Have a look at the existing, e.g. linuxcnc, and see if you can modify it.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Russ4262

Post by Russ4262 »

Welcome to the forum, Bmsaus4ax.
bmsaus4ax wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:40 pm Is there a way to nominate the physical 4th axis rotation axis. Post processing for me is currently around A-axis (rotation around X-axis), is it possible to output for B-Axis (rotation around Y-axis) ?
My comment is an indirect solution. I suggest rotating your model in FreeCAD 90 degrees such that the rotations you need are oriented to the Y-axis when you apply your CAM path generation. This will output the Y-axis rotations by default.

As for your actual question regarding the capabilities of the post processors available, I do not know the answer.

Russell
bmsaus4ax

Post by bmsaus4ax »

Russ4262 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:54 pm Welcome to the forum, Bmsaus4ax.
bmsaus4ax wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:40 pm Is there a way to nominate the physical 4th axis rotation axis. Post processing for me is currently around A-axis (rotation around X-axis), is it possible to output for B-Axis (rotation around Y-axis) ?
My comment is an indirect solution. I suggest rotating your model in FreeCAD 90 degrees such that the rotations you need are oriented to the Y-axis when you apply your CAM path generation. This will output the Y-axis rotations by default.

As for your actual question regarding the capabilities of the post processors available, I do not know the answer.

Russell
I have tried the rotation but always get A-axis output, but have perhaps not selected the paths correctly. If all else fails I can reconfigure the machine to make longest axis X.
bmsaus4ax

Post by bmsaus4ax »

chrisb wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:50 pm That sounds as if you need a dedicated postprocessor.
Have a look at the existing, e.g. linuxcnc, and see if you can modify it.
Have had a cursory look but it seems I may have to dig into "built-ins" file. Need to locate it on my system. Using appimage version at present.
Russ4262

Post by Russ4262 »

bmsaus4ax wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:12 am ... I have tried the rotation but always get A-axis output, but have perhaps not selected the paths correctly. If all else fails I can reconfigure the machine to make longest axis X.
Hmmm. Well, that indicates there might be a bug in the g-code command-creation part of the operation code. What operation(s) are you using? Are you able to attach your FreeCAD file for inspection and troubleshooting? Also, please include the Help -> About FreeCAD info to aid devs.

Russell
bmsaus4ax

Post by bmsaus4ax »

Russ4262 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:28 am
bmsaus4ax wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:12 am ... I have tried the rotation but always get A-axis output, but have perhaps not selected the paths correctly. If all else fails I can reconfigure the machine to make longest axis X.
Hmmm. Well, that indicates there might be a bug in the g-code command-creation part of the operation code. What operation(s) are you using? Are you able to attach your FreeCAD file for inspection and troubleshooting? Also, please include the Help -> About FreeCAD info to aid devs.

Russell
Just a simple shape to test but getting file too large for attachment, will work on creating something that will attach.
Currently
Operation: screenshots
G-Code as txt
Attachments
Y_dropCutterDirection.txt
(138.91 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
X_dropCutterDirection.txt
(56.29 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
Screenshot from 2020-11-27 11-09-18.png
Screenshot from 2020-11-27 11-09-18.png (193.77 KiB) Viewed 1289 times
Screenshot from 2020-11-27 11-06-16.png
Screenshot from 2020-11-27 11-06-16.png (188.54 KiB) Viewed 1289 times
bmsaus4ax

Post by bmsaus4ax »

bmsaus4ax wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:23 am
Russ4262 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:28 am

Russell
Just a simple shape to test but getting file too large for attachment, will work on creating something that will attach.
Currently
Operation: screenshots
G-Code as txt
Sorry forgot to include!!!!!!

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.23074 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 74b866ed3022fd1452c534dae31a721bcc668f2f
Python version: 3.8.6
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: English/Australia (en_AU)
Russ4262

Post by Russ4262 »

bmsaus4ax wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:12 am ...
I have tried the rotation but always get A-axis output, but have perhaps not selected the paths correctly. If all else fails I can reconfigure the machine to make longest axis X.
Sorry it took a while. Also sorry I didn't catch this sooner. There are two axial settings in the Rotation group of properties in the Data tab of the 3D Surface operation. The Drop Cutter Dir(ection) and the Rotation Axis. The former is just that, the direction the cutter will travel, either parallel to the X or Y axis - no intermediate rotation of the paths angles are available. The latter is the actual axis of rotation for your part. This Rotation Axis property is not available in the Task Window editor, only in the property list in the Data tab.

Both of these properties appear to be functioning correctly for me. I see both `A` for X axis rotation and `B` for Y axis rotation output in the g-code.

Also, hovering over the properties will provide tool tips for most properties, whether in the Data tab or the Task Window editor.

Image attached.

Russell

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.Unknown - [somewhere around revision 23074 ]
Build type: Release
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Attachments
Snip macro screenshot-eee890.png
Snip macro screenshot-eee890.png (161.93 KiB) Viewed 1114 times
bmsaus4ax

Post by bmsaus4ax »

Russ4262 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:19 am
bmsaus4ax wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:12 am ...
Sorry it took a while. Also sorry I didn't catch this sooner. There are two axial settings in the Rotation group of properties in the Data tab of the 3D Surface operation. The Drop Cutter Dir(ection) and the Rotation Axis. The former is just that, the direction the cutter will travel, either parallel to the X or Y axis - no intermediate rotation of the paths angles are available. The latter is the actual axis of rotation for your part. This Rotation Axis property is not available in the Task Window editor, only in the property list in the Data tab.

Both of these properties appear to be functioning correctly for me. I see both `A` for X axis rotation and `B` for Y axis rotation output in the g-code.

Also, hovering over the properties will provide tool tips for most properties, whether in the Data tab or the Task Window editor.
Excellent !! ,
Must admit I didn't dig too deep into the data tab; mostly just checked on things I had selected in Operation dialog box and not scrolling through every entry. Learning curve lack of focus. :roll: :shock: :o
My posts also are correct now, Thank you.
Although did have a win with the Post Processor after a number of different hints in a selection of forum posts. ( Turned out to be less involved to implement than the mods for the Fusion360 one; but took a lot longer to realise what to change) Now have a custom FreeCAD post processor for the "SMC4-4-16A16B motion controller". This is a cheap stand alone sd card fed unit which performs very well once you sort out the facts from the translation of the text in the manual. Handles the drilling canned cycles, some offsetting (G92 'ish but via a G28 variant, G54-G59 WPC's) , line code editing (tedious), restarts within code (with care), one button setting of WPC from tool position, speed and feed variation in operation ( code high, variable from100% down only ), enough outputs via m-code to implement tool change on capable machine, machine and relative coordinates (not visible simultaneously ) NO direct PC feed though. Working on proper instruction document for whoever inherits my machine.

Appreciate the really impressive progress FreeCAD has mode over the years, and the open and cross-platform, particularly, Linux for me.
The time stamps on some of the developer, moderator posts are scarily amazing.