Path workbench problems

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
concretedog

Path workbench problems

Post by concretedog »

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.
Build type: Release
Branch: unknown
Hash: a16eec8a7b6ebdef073c7f188a6987698532fff5
Python version: 3.6.9
Qt version: 5.9.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedKingdom (en_GB)

Hi all, I'm struggling a bit after updating to the new daily on ubuntu 18.04. I've not particularly been watching the changes to the path bench so it all looks very different so may all be my errors/lack of knowledge.

I tried to add a tool and have set up a new path as the default library path is to a root priviledge folder so I can't add stuff there. I can add an endmill and assign its basic attributes (height, diameter etc) but then when I have added it I can't save it and therefore see it in the tool dock list. I do see the model of the new tool in the file tree and preview window.

I can create a new library.fctl file and can see it in the file tree as a file/path but wherever I generate that, it won't let me add it as a library path.

So I guess my question is...are there any links/documentation available on this newer workbench approaches!?
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Path workbench problems

Post by Kunda1 »

concretedog wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:36 am Version: 0.19.
Just an aside, unfortunately, due to some complexities in the build system, some builds don't generate revision number. So we don't know what revision of v0.19 you are using. So that begs the question, are you using the most up to date v0.19?
Is the bug you're reporting have a pending fix for it? (I ask because ATM there are several open Path pull requests on Github (link)

Edit: there is partial documentation at
Path_ToolShape
Path_ToolBit
Path_ToolBit_Library
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
concretedog

Post by concretedog »

Ah, ok, tbh the ubuntu software updater just informed me there was an update to the daily version yesterday so I installed on my laptop, the release date was 2020.11.26. I'm using the app image on my desktop on ubuntu 20.04 so I'll see if the newer path stuff is working on that. I see people referencing changing preferences to use legacy toolpath stuff but I couldn't find that option either!
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

This gets an interesting bug. We want to provide the user with a default set of tools and a library when they start using Path and Toolbits. But the default location for those things in a packaged installation isn't user-writable. The best thing for the user is to intentionally choose where their toolbits and libraries should live but if they don't do that and just start using the defaults, they're going to get an error. I didn't think about this when reworking the UI because I run from a build directory.

I'm open to suggestions how we should handle this.

One possibility, When the user first launches Path, we check to see if their toolbit working location has been set. If not, we prompt for a location and copy everything there before proceeding.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

I do remember this being an issue for the AppImage. When a user clicks on one of the example files on the StartWB, modifies it and tries to save; FC errors saying that isn't possible since the files aren't writable. User needs to 'save as' to their machine to do this.
sliptonic wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:39 pm One possibility, When the user first launches Path, we check to see if their toolbit working location has been set. If not, we prompt for a location and copy everything there before proceeding.
Also checking if it's write-able.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs