Selecting multiple path faces

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
geckocycles

Selecting multiple path faces

Post by geckocycles »

VERS 0.19 23258 GIT
Yet another Fusion360 convert. I just don't have reliable internet to continue to use it among the many other reasons.

Is there a way to select multiple faces at a time for a pocket feature like a chain select tool?
Is there a way to reselect a previous base geometry selection when adding a new tool to the same previous path?
I need to pocket this with 3 tools and it takes forever to select all the faces each time.
Attachments
cog center pocket.jpg
cog center pocket.jpg (282.64 KiB) Viewed 2035 times
mlampert
Veteran

Re: Selecting multiple path faces

Post by mlampert »

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (10.02 KiB) Viewed 2027 times
Finish loop tool, works for edges and faces, should do what you want.
Russ4262

Post by Russ4262 »

Welcome to the FreeCAD forum, Geckocycles !
geckocycles wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:52 pm VERS 0.19 23258 GIT
... Is there a way to reselect a previous base geometry selection when adding a new tool to the same previous path?
Yes, there is. In your screenshot, the operation being modified is the first operation in your Job. For this reason the import feature is unavailable.

When you create subsequent operations, the Base Geometry section will have a selection menu and `Import` button above the feature list area. Select from which op you wish to import, click the button, and all the selected geometry from that op will be imported to the current list, so long as it meets requirements for the current op.

See the attached image.

Again, welcome.
Russell
Attachments
Import base geometry feature
Import base geometry feature
Snip macro screenshot-e8d2f4.png (182.91 KiB) Viewed 1992 times
cox

Post by cox »

mlampert wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:45 pm Capture.PNG
I am struggling to get Path SelectLoop to react to faces, no mention of this feature in the wiki either. What am I missing?
closedloop.png
closedloop.png (82.89 KiB) Viewed 1975 times
Need help? Feel free to ask, but please read the guidelines first
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

Don't think you're missing anything, other than a properly functioning loop selection tool. I remember seeing that error before, although in my case all faces ended up being selected. Had forgotten about it - would you mind filing a bug? That way sliptonic has a reminder to hunt me down :mrgreen:
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I cannot see it clearly from the image, did you select two faces?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
cox

Post by cox »

chrisb wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:28 pm I cannot see it clearly from the image, did you select two faces?
Yes, in the image 2 sides of nut is selected. I have tried many different parts and not made a complete loop with faces.
mlampert wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:05 pm Don't think you're missing anything, other than a properly functioning loop selection tool. I remember seeing that error before, although in my case all faces ended up being selected. Had forgotten about it - would you mind filing a bug? That way sliptonic has a reminder to hunt me down :mrgreen:
Sure! :-)
cox

Post by cox »

Long time since i posted a bug, seams to be a it more involved these days, will read up on it before i post the bug.

Looks like the error message is displayed both on success and when the operation fails.

Attached a file for demonstration purposes.
Selecting any two of the faces not co-planar and not top and bottom. Before issuing the Path SelectLoop ,gives the same result. All faces except co-planar and top and bottom gets selected.

Would expect command failure if a face from each level was selected. And full level selection if two faces from same level was selected.

Please verify if you observe the same issues.

FreeCad-Daily

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.
Build type: Release
Branch: unknown
Hash: 1bc39542d33196d585630b3a943f93b269c4f55c
Python version: 3.8.6
Qt version: 5.14.2
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Attachments
closed_loop.FCStd
(22.47 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
geckocycles

Post by geckocycles »

Russ4262 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:32 pm Welcome to the FreeCAD forum, Geckocycles !
geckocycles wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:52 pm VERS 0.19 23258 GIT
... Is there a way to reselect a previous base geometry selection when adding a new tool to the same previous path?
Yes, there is. In your screenshot, the operation being modified is the first operation in your Job. For this reason the import feature is unavailable.

When you create subsequent operations, the Base Geometry section will have a selection menu and `Import` button above the feature list area. Select from which op you wish to import, click the button, and all the selected geometry from that op will be imported to the current list, so long as it meets requirements for the current op.

See the attached image.

Again, welcome.
Russell
Thanks for the welcome.

This is a part I made in Fusion and imported as STEP.
I created body.

I created a tool path with the first tool and looks good except for step down which cut to full depth. No problem with this part but I will have to figure that out later.

Imported Pocket_Shape to new tool Op and there is now lost geometry even in my model. Couldn't recover or see the issue so I started over. Lost the hole completely in the original model but the pocket profile is still there, just no extrusion shown. I just don't see a break in the chain.

Trying to watch more vids but internet keeps going out. Burning up data using phone as hotspot to reply so sorry for the late one.
geckocycles

Post by geckocycles »

mlampert wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:45 pm Capture.PNG
Thx, I'll give that a try.
Is this something that can be used to select lines to add symmetry too also. Seems I can only select points.