Postprocessor for Stepcraft 420 + UC-CNC + UC100

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
PapaAtHome

Re: Postprocessor for Stepcraft 420 + UC-CNC + UC100

Post by PapaAtHome »

Kunda1 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:40 am Better instructions are on our wiki page called Github. Looks like you are 90% there.
Thanks.

Kunda1 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:40 am 3. Fill out the Pull Request template add a summary of your commit, link to the forum discussion and add an 'X' in between the square brackets for steps you have completed. The markdown format must be precise.

Code: Select all

- [x]  (correct)

- [ x] (incorrect)
- [x ] (incorrect) 
[x]    (incorrect)
-[x]   (incorrect)
I find the Pull Request template a bit confusing.

- [x] Your pull request is confined strictly to a single module.
This is easy.

- [ ] In case your pull request does more than just fixing small bugs,...
Can't say I did discuss the subject, except what you can read in this thread.
left it as it is.

- [ ] Your branch is [rebased](https://git-scm.com/docs/git-rebase) on latest master `git pull --rebase upstream master`
I have no idea what this is about. I got a copy from the FreeCAD master repository so I *assume* is is rebased to start with.
No further action done.

- [ ] All FreeCAD unit tests are confirmed...
I can't build FreeCAD, tried so about 12 months ago but never got it working, that includes the ability to run unit tests. :(
And I'm just adding a post processor script which I tested (extensively) with v0.17 and also used with v0.18 en v0.19

- [x] All commit messages are [well-written]...
I do hope so, but English is not my native language.

- [ ] Your pull request is well written and has a good description
No idea where I can put a pull request description. The form does not indicate an area for it, so... no?

- [ ] Commit messages include `issue #<id>` or `fixes #<id>` where...
No, it is not an issue fix.

And please remember to update the Wiki...
I would like to but I have no wiki access.

I did place my [x] boxes truthfully and then closed it with a comment.
Not sure if I *canceled* the pull request with this last action but it does give that impression to me. :roll:
Capture1.PNG
Capture1.PNG (19.44 KiB) Viewed 1258 times
The attachment Capture2.PNG is no longer available
Attachments
Capture2.PNG
Capture2.PNG (7.85 KiB) Viewed 1258 times
Kind regards, Andre.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Ahh.. yes, you made the mistake many newbs make (as did I). You made the PR against your own repository (this is also a valid action but not in this context). You need to make the PR against FreeCAD:master.

You also need to prepend Path: to the start of your commit message and the PR.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
PapaAtHome

Post by PapaAtHome »

Kunda1 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:39 pm Ahh.. yes, you made the mistake many newbs make (as did I). You made the PR against your own repository (this is also a valid action but not in this context). You need to make the PR against FreeCAD:master.

Not clear to me what you say in your last remark. I'm left in the dark.
Do I have to append a path before I use the Pull request. I cannot find a field or item labeled as 'Path'.
Or should I append something in the Pull request form that comes up? No field 'Path' either.

Just looking at the second picture in your first message, the one with the red arrow to 'Pull request'.
When I use it I generate a pull request against 'master' in my own repository. OK, clear.
I need to make it against FreeCAD:master, prepending 'master' with 'FreeCAD:' Where or how can I do this?

I tried this. (also tried it with a full URL address, same result)
Capture3.PNG
Capture3.PNG (50 KiB) Viewed 1232 times
But it is a dead end.
Capture4.PNG
Capture4.PNG (38.94 KiB) Viewed 1232 times
I'm feeling a bit embarrassed that I cannot follow your instructions (or the ones in the github page). :oops:
And I'm totally clueless.
Kind regards, Andre.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

Github was obviously designed by folks standing on their heads. Everything is backward. Pull instead of push, for example. I don't want to "pull" my change, I want to "push" it into the master code.

However, once you figure out the quirks it does work reliably. It took me quite a few mis-tries before I got even a little bit of understanding.

Gene
PapaAtHome

Post by PapaAtHome »

Kunda1 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:39 pm Ahh.. yes, you made the mistake many newbs make (as did I). You made the PR against your own repository (this is also a valid action but not in this context). You need to make the PR against FreeCAD:master.

Never give up (Dalai Lama)

Looking around and on YouTube I got one step further with the option 'compare across forks'.
Here I have the option of changing repositories, but the FreeCAD master respository is not in the list.
Capture5.PNG
Capture5.PNG (61.25 KiB) Viewed 1205 times
It might be that I created or populated my github repository the wrong way.
Or maby I oversee another option...
Kind regards, Andre.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

PapaAtHome wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:33 pm It might be that I created or populated my github repository the wrong way.
If you read the github page it shows you to first clone the repo on github (pressing the 'clone' button). You didn't do this. Read the steps on that page, and it'll make more sense.
PapaAtHome

Post by PapaAtHome »

Kunda1 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:53 pm
PapaAtHome wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:33 pm It might be that I created or populated my github repository the wrong way.
If you read the github page it shows you to first clone the repo on github (pressing the 'clone' button). You didn't do this. Read the steps on that page, and it'll make more sense.
You are right, and I found out as well.
I was not paying enough attention at the start and my SVN background was playing up.
For SVN you create a repository and then start filling it and a fork is done on a branch in the repository. (And repositories do *not* know anything about each other)
While in git you fork the whole repository in one action and the cloned one knows where it comes from.
My fault.

In the mean time, I was able to redo the whole process and to create a pull request. Finally. The next one will be less troublesome.
Capture6.PNG
Capture6.PNG (41.96 KiB) Viewed 1179 times
@Kunda1 Thanks for your attention. With your suggestions and support I was able to make the pull request.
Kind regards, Andre.
PapaAtHome

Post by PapaAtHome »

chrisb wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:38 pm Thanks for contributing. Do you mind creating a pull request?
Well... that took some time!
I had a lot to learn in a short time, got some excellent advise, support and appreciation for my contribution. And new insights and appreciation of all the efforts that goes into FreeCAD.
And suddenly my pull request was accepted. :D

So, in time, it will show up in FreeCAD when you update it.
Kind regards, Andre.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »