Documentation for Path Area

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Documentation for Path Area

Post by Kunda1 »

Path Area documentation needs :heart:
Any volunteers?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
RatonLaveur

Re: Documentation for Path Area

Post by RatonLaveur »

Leaving this as a reference to myself or others, one of the defining practical discussions of the feature
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=41781

And the original introduction by Realthunder
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... =Workplane

To note that as Chrisb already said last year, Path Area and Feature Area are both used, in the code and lingo...needs a disambiguation and/or the ''correct'' wiki page title.
bmsaus4ax

Re: Documentation for Path Area

Post by bmsaus4ax »

Is there an easy means of extracting the Properties mouse over data from the data tab? ie a resource file or such. I have made notes on my use of some of them by transcribing from the screen while moused over, getting tedious. I don't know the original intention of the descriptions but have by experimentation found how to use them for my purpose ( the descriptions are precise and concise , the application just took some interpretation with my limited knowledge )
I have no Wiki experience but willing to provide input if required.

Attached FreeCAD file is a use case for FeatureArea that I use to generate paths that I am familiar with in industrial environment.
The Custom operation is a side and face ; as a inside offset over helper shapes.
Custom001 is a pocket operation ; as an inside offset.
Custom002 is a facing operation ; as an inside offset with a smaller initial offset so that tool path overhangs the shape and clearing beyond the edge of shape.
Custom003 is an outside profile ; as an outside offset. Tag Dress-up added.

FeatureArea provides the path wires
From Shape is applied to this FeatureArea to create the g-code commands
A Macro creates the step downs and pre-processes the g-code.
The pre-process code is pasted into a Custom Operation. Although the Custom operation does not use the Tool Controller, the correct tool needs to be included for the simulator graphics.
Attachments
Operations from FeatureArea.FCStd
(153.58 KiB) Downloaded 23 times