Path Workbench Repairing an Operation Moved Out of the Job

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freecader2

Path Workbench Repairing an Operation Moved Out of the Job

Post by freecader2 »

A little bit more info to hopefully help clarify: the problematic operation is "DressupTag" which is now at the same top level as the job itself.

Hi,

I've accidentally moved an operation out of the path job where it belongs. And I can't drag/drop it back to the Operations list. It keeps trying to link it there. Unfortunately I don't know how/when it happened- I must have been moving something and didn't notice.

Is there a way to get it back in to the Job or should I delete and recreate it where it belongs? And is there a way you can recommend I can avoid doing this in the future? (or just be more careful and save/backup more often?)

Thanks!

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.24693 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: e01f0d25d5f3ef9ceb66aa087212121e9f2f2e8b
Python version: 3.9.2
Qt version: 5.12.9
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.5.1
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Attachments
1.png
1.png (164.89 KiB) Viewed 2643 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Path Workbench Repairing an Operation Moved Out of the Job

Post by chrisb »

I have seen such broken Jobs after trying to change the sequence of operations by dragging. I couldn't repair the model then. It seems you have only one operation, nevertheless I guess that you accidentally dragged something with the mouse.
Can you upload the file?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
freecader2

Post by freecader2 »

Unfortunately I already deleted and started over. If it happens again I'll try to save everything I can about the file and steps leading up to it, and get back in touch. Thanks anyways.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I strongly recommend to increase the number of backup files to a ridiculously high value of 10 or 20. Save often. Delete the backup files when you have finished the model.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Joe_J

Post by Joe_J »

I'm having the same issue. When I open the path job to edit it the processor select list is blank, I change it to grbl, then click OK and all the operations fall out of the job (as shown in attached screenshot). The first time this happened I was able to move them back in, but now when it happens it doesn't let me.

Not sure if it's related, but this is logged to the Report view when I open the path job:

Code: Select all

11:32:24  Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/tmp/.mount_FreeCAbYUXLu/usr/Mod/Path/PathScripts/PathJobGui.py", line 177, in setEdit
    self.openTaskPanel()
  File "/tmp/.mount_FreeCAbYUXLu/usr/Mod/Path/PathScripts/PathJobGui.py", line 184, in openTaskPanel
    self.taskPanel.setupUi(activate)
  File "/tmp/.mount_FreeCAbYUXLu/usr/Mod/Path/PathScripts/PathJobGui.py", line 1252, in setupUi
    self.setFields()
  File "/tmp/.mount_FreeCAbYUXLu/usr/Mod/Path/PathScripts/PathJobGui.py", line 773, in setFields
    item = self.form.wcslist.findItems(f, QtCore.Qt.MatchExactly)[0]
<class 'IndexError'>: list index out of range
As a workaround for what I need to do, I can just change the job properties in the data tab without opening the job.

The FreeCAD file is 7 MB, so I can't attach it here, but if it would be useful I can upload it somewhere else. It is a bit of a mess since I'm fairly new to FreeCAD.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24276 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at 0.19.1)
Hash: a88db11e0a908f6e38f92bfc5187b13ebe470438
Python version: 3.8.8
Qt version: 5.12.9
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: English/Canada (en_CA)
Attachments
freecad operations fall out.png
freecad operations fall out.png (243.19 KiB) Viewed 2531 times
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Moved to Path subforum
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Joe_J wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:36 pm When I open the path job to edit it the processor select list is blank, I change it to grbl, then click OK and all the operations fall out of the job (as shown in attached screenshot). The first time this happened I was able to move them back in, but now when it happens it doesn't let me.
Can you remember which postprocessor you had originally? For some time there were different grbl postprocessors and at some point they were unified.

Can you upload the file before the setting the postprocessor?
Joe_J

Post by Joe_J »

chrisb wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:31 am Can you remember which postprocessor you had originally? For some time there were different grbl postprocessors and at some point they were unified.

Can you upload the file before the setting the postprocessor?
Quite sure the postprocessor was always set to grbl, and I don't remember there being multiple grbl choices. Of course now it's behaving well without any problems.

It's possible that at one point I tried re-ordering the path operations directly in the tree view; maybe that led to the problem.
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

Yes, I've found that attempting to reorder ops like that will break things. This is particularly confusing because the mouse cursor changes in the UI indicating that DnD is supported and possible when it is not.

This should either be fixed so it does work or disabled in the UI so that it does not mess up people's work.

It would be rather nice if this did work in the treeview and this would mean there was no need for the clunky Workplan tab in the job Edit dlg.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

freman wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:05 pm This should either be fixed so it does work or disabled in the UI so that it does not mess up people's work.

It would be rather nice if this did work in the treeview and this would mean there was no need for the clunky Workplan tab in the job Edit dlg.
This was discussed before. it is not easy to fix, because drag and drop cannot be easily disabled.