Hiding "Operations" (or job) does not hide operations themselves

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sliptonic
Veteran

Re: Hiding "Operations" (or job) does not hide operations themselves

Post by sliptonic »

freman wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:17 pm See attached FCStd.
Not found
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Can I test it by replacing the PathScripts or does it need a new build?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

It's all python. So you can just replace the affected file.

The change does not affect the behavior of existing jobs so you'll need to create a new one.
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

The change does not affect the behavior of existing jobs so you'll need to create a new one.
Ah ha !
Not found
Sorry, I often find adding files unreliable on the forum, I should have checked. Here is a replacement, newly created with a fresh build of your repo. Content is equivalent and all previous comments still seem to apply, including visibility and colour of stock.

The visibility bahaviour for path ops is still basically an OR logic.

If job toggles stock maybe is should control its model too. This is one thing which is quite confusing when learning FC. A new job creates a new model but it's created hidden. If the origin is moved, as it commonly is to set negative space and machine zero, then new paths are created relative to a new invisible model yet the no longer relevant body is what is seen. See attached.

Apart from internal code improvement, I don't see any behavioural changes here. Maybe that was the intent, so no inconsistencies seen with limited testing.
Attachments
slip-test.FCStd
(22.82 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

I opened your file and got a reference to the Job. It is a Path::FeaturePython object so it was created with the old code.
2021-05-18_08-40.png
2021-05-18_08-40.png (156.22 KiB) Viewed 888 times
I created a new job for the shape. Inspecting it you see it is a Part::PartFeature object.
2021-05-18_08-41.png
2021-05-18_08-41.png (145.55 KiB) Viewed 888 times
I recreated the helix operation. Now toggling the visibility has this effect. In the first image the visibility of the job is off which turns off the visibility of the operatons sub-group, Model, and Tools. It does NOT affect the stock. This is intentional.

Toggling the visibility of the Job toggles the vis of the corresponding children.
2021-05-18_08-42.png
2021-05-18_08-42.png (168.06 KiB) Viewed 888 times
2021-05-18_08-42_1.png
2021-05-18_08-42_1.png (178.89 KiB) Viewed 888 times
I'm attaching your revised file.

Can we please stop talking about AND/OR logic for the groups? That isn't how regular groups work in FreeCAD and it isn't how Path groups work so discussing it is just confusing.

And let's not talk about how visibility should be set upon creation. That's an entirely separate discussion from how groups behave.
Attachments
slip-test.FCStd
(38.89 KiB) Downloaded 26 times