Ticket #4658 - Pocket clearing struggle

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Pocket clearing struggle.

Post by chrisb »

Here is the link: issue #4658
I have simplified the file and add it here; seems to me safer than on some cloud account.
Attachments
adaptiveError.FCStd
(304.95 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
dmitry_sushkov

Re: Pocket clearing struggle.

Post by dmitry_sushkov »

chrisb wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:05 am Here is the link: issue #4658
I have simplified the file and add it here; seems to me safer than on some cloud account.
File not found.
Russ4262

Re: Ticket #4658 - Pocket clearing struggle

Post by Russ4262 »

Afternoon.
Taking a break from grading papers. Saw @Luzpaz's related request in Gitter.im/FreeCAD/Path chatroom.

I don't have a bug fix for the code, but I do have a solution of sorts for you.

In your original file linked in your OP, the Adaptive001 operation is the one with the issue of concern here.
There or two problems:
1) one bug when disabling `Use Outline` that causes only about 2/3 of area to be cleared
2) the dreaded `path of insanity` as I am referring to it here, which has been seen and reported numerous times here in the forum, that causes the small path on the side that reaches into the wall of the part at what appears to be a random point on the perimeter.

The solution I have is for number 2 above, the `path of insanity`. To remove this, whether the `Finishing Profile` is enabled or not, but with the `Use Outline` option enabled to avoid number 1 above, simply increase the `Stock to Leave` value to something positive, say 1mm in your example. This will remove the `path of insanity`. Granted, you will then have to add a follow-up `Profile` operation to clear the 1mm material that remains from the Adaptive operation.

So, put another way, here is my suggested set of steps to clear that area with an Adaptive - Profile combination:
1) Initiate the Adaptive op as you did, leaving the `Use Outline` toggle enabled.
2) Leave the `Finishing Profile` toggle enabled to allow the Adaptive op to clear well.
3) Set the `Stock to Leave` value somewhere from 0.1 to 2.0 mm to avoid the `path of insanity` you experienced.
4) Click OK to create the Adaptive operation.
5) Initiate a Profile operation with no geometry selected.
6) In the Base Geometry tab, at the top, select in the combo box the same Adaptive operation created previously.
7) Click the Import button. You should see the same list of edges/faces appear as used for the Adaptive operation.
8) Change to the Operation tab, and change the Cut Side to Inside.
9) Make any other changes you want to this cleanup Profile operation.
10) Click OK to create the operation.

I added a screenshot to show this Adaptive-Profile combination solution. I used 1.5 mm `Stock to Leave` value in the Adaptive op.

I do not have plans to address these two Adaptive bugs in the C++ code; I am still learning to use python. I do not recall the original author of the Adaptive operation, and I do not know if they are still involved and available. Senior devs for Path WB will likely know. Git history and the FreeCAD project history will likely have the author's name available.

My solution offered here is using 0.19.x. It would be beneficial if this solution, or another, were placed in the wiki with the Adaptive op's documentation.

Have fun, and be safe.
Thanks for posting.

Russell

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24291 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-19
Hash: 7b5e18a0759de778b74d3a5c17eba9cb815035ac
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Attachments
Snip macro screenshot-0a427f.png
Snip macro screenshot-0a427f.png (179.34 KiB) Viewed 789 times
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Ticket #4658 - Pocket clearing struggle

Post by Kunda1 »

Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs