Pocket3D Edge with finer tool?

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
namezero111111

Pocket3D Edge with finer tool?

Post by namezero111111 »

Dear folks,

I am new to the Path workbench for CNC, so this might be an X-Y problem.
I am trying to make a 3D Pocket with a large tool using a pass extension.
Then, I would like to go around the outside and use a finer tool and stepdown.
However, how can I restrict the second operation by the first so I don't "cut air" 99% of the time?

Here is an example:
First operation
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (27.79 KiB) Viewed 1864 times
Second operation:
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (46.07 KiB) Viewed 1864 times
99% op this operation is unnecessary; I just need one or two spiral passes on the outside.
I found that I can use a boundary dress-up, but I cannot bound by the other operation.
What's the correct way to achieve this?
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Pocket3D Edge with finer tool?

Post by chrisb »

This is currently not possible.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
namezero111111

Post by namezero111111 »

I wonder; can this be hacked with the experimental "3D Surface" to follow a Pocketing Operation?
It appears to give a single pass along the edge:
Capture3.JPG
Capture3.JPG (64.46 KiB) Viewed 1820 times
Following a pocket operation with a rough tool and a finishing 3D Surface - what is the gotcha with this?
jescombe

Post by jescombe »

What I tend to do as a workaround (when making inlays with some fine detail around the edges), is to remove the bulk by pocketing with a larger tool, and follow that with an internal profile pass (or two) with a smaller cutter that gets me right into the tight corners. Have to be mindful of the stock that's left, and perhaps adjust the offset a couple of times to clear it all...
namezero111111

Post by namezero111111 »

jescombe wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:32 pm What I tend to do as a workaround (when making inlays with some fine detail around the edges), is to remove the bulk by pocketing with a larger tool, and follow that with an internal profile pass (or two) with a smaller cutter that gets me right into the tight corners. Have to be mindful of the stock that's left, and perhaps adjust the offset a couple of times to clear it all...
Could you detail how you got this to work for pockets that don't have an even bottom? I might missing something here; I had tried to tinker with profiling, too.
jescombe

Post by jescombe »

namezero111111 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:46 pm Could you detail how you got this to work for pockets that don't have an even bottom? I might missing something here; I had tried to tinker with profiling, too.
Ah sorry, I'd missed that rather important point! :oops: In that case, I can't see how you would do it either..
bmsaus4ax

Post by bmsaus4ax »

namezero111111 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:14 pm Dear folks,

I am trying to make a 3D Pocket with a large tool using a pass extension.
Then, I would like to go around the outside and use a finer tool and stepdown.
However, how can I restrict the second operation by the first so I don't "cut air" 99% of the time?
The 3D option is the easiest solution. The first step is to use the Waterline operation. You can use a large Endmill to rough out the bulk of the cavity.
I have experienced an error with this operation but it does not seem to be fatal. It puts the operation into an edit state where the 'Waterline' in the object tree is in a highlight yellow colour with an error in the report window. To get past this, right click on the 'Waterline' and select 'Finish editing' in the dropdown list, this should clear the highlight and from here on it is all happy again.
Probable error ending in

Code: Select all

PathGeom.py", line 91, in isRoughly
    return math.fabs(float1 - float2) <= error
<class 'TypeError'>: unsupported operand type(s) for -: 'float' and 'NoneType'
waterline.png
waterline.png (49.47 KiB) Viewed 1730 times
You can then carry out a 3D Surface operation, single pass, with a ball end mill. My preference is to use the line pattern with a small step over to give a consistent cut pattern to the finish. The default behaviour is to start on the top surface and the follow the curve, but this can be altered in the Data Tab after the operation is created. Under "Selected Geometry Settings" the parameter "Boundary Adjustment" can be changed to minus half the tool diameter and the cut will enter directly into the cavity vertically without going around the top edge.
3Dpath.png
3Dpath.png (61.5 KiB) Viewed 1730 times

I have used version 0.20 here but version 0.19 will do the same.

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.24847 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 20e756306d9aa624fcbf465f0345d721673ce720
Python version: 3.9.2
Qt version: 5.12.9
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.5.1
Locale: English/Australia (en_AU)
namezero111111

Post by namezero111111 »

bmsaus4ax wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:33 am The 3D option is the easiest solution. The first step is to use the Waterline operation. You can use a large Endmill to rough out the bulk of the cavity. [...]
This seems to work very well. I gave up on waterline because of I didn't know how to remove that error; thanks for that!
What is the difference of using waterline to 3D Pocket?
It seems like both do the same (or extremely similar things) in this case.

EDIT: Could you double check if your 3D Surface works with a fillet on the top edge? It works for me with a chamfer, but a fillet seems to hang FreeCAD (It's doing something for many minutes and using >25Gb memory) even on an extremely simple model

Generally the 3D Surface seems painfully slow, although the output appears correct.
A message "dropCutterSTL5 129 cl-points and 392784 triangles." even for a simple object is generated. That's 400k almost!
Adding another unrelated fillet to a hole blows this up to 1167312 triangles!
I'm not a pythonist, but maybe in PathSurfaceSupport.py(525) everything is preprocessed before on line 548 everything is processed "as needed"?
Last edited by namezero111111 on Wed May 12, 2021 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bmsaus4ax

Post by bmsaus4ax »

namezero111111 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:04 am [
What is the difference of using waterline to 3D Pocket?
I don't know the correct answer, but I would think it is because waterline only follows the wall ( nearer vertical geometry ) not the face as in pocket.
EDIT: Could you double check if your 3D Surface works with a fillet on the top edge? It works for me with a chamfer, but a fillet seems to hang FreeCAD (It's doing something for many minutes and using >25Gb memory) even on an extremely simple model

Generally the 3D Surface seems painfully slow, although the output appears correct. I'm not a pythonist, but maybe in PathSurfaceSupport.py(525) everything is preprocessed before on line 548 everything is processed "as needed"?
That is the key thing about Surface, there is a lot of geometry to process.
The more complicated the path the more time and memory is involved. Both line and circular paths processed for me when 1mm radius included, but the line path takes a significant amount more to process as it produces better detail. I had to 'Wait' through a couple of 'Not Responding' events; processor has 8 cores but not the latest speeds.
radiusSphere.png
radiusSphere.png (66.38 KiB) Viewed 1671 times
circularRadSphere.png
circularRadSphere.png (95.39 KiB) Viewed 1671 times
namezero111111

Post by namezero111111 »

bmsaus4ax wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:29 pm
Thanks for the tests. It just confuses me that unrelated features (faces far away) have dramatic effects. My assumption was that the bounding box of the relevant object cuts away features that don't matter, but they seem to be processed and then discarded.