Millface boxes disabled

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
brose

Millface boxes disabled

Post by brose »

I'm trying to figure out how to use the Millface operation for my 3040 CNC machine. Everything is working except for the depth. I cannot figure out how to set the correct depth.

I am using FreeCAD 0.19 on Windows. I am able to set up the operation with my object, but the Depths and Heights are mostly greyed out. There is a 2mm in Start Depth and a 6mm in Step Down, but I cannot change those. The only Depth I can change is Finish Step Down.

In the Heights, the Safe Height and Clearance Height are set to 4mm and 6mm respectively, but they are also greyed out and I cannot change them.

Everytime I run the job, everything works fine except the depth. I cannot figure out how to make it "cut deeper". The wiki page talks about what the parameters are, but not their relationships or how they work together ( e.g. Finish Step Down must be smaller than Step Down).

I've looked at various tutorials and videos, and most seem to "just work" and they do not spend much time on this.
Attachments
MisterRoseBoard.FCStd
Simple block with a facing operation
(26.08 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
GeneFC
Veteran

Re: Millface boxes disabled

Post by GeneFC »

Moved to Path/CAM forum.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

brose wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 5:24 pm I'm trying to figure out how to use the Millface operation for my 3040 CNC machine. Everything is working except for the depth. I cannot figure out how to set the correct depth.
This is one of those items that is surprisingly awkward. The depths are automatically setup according to what the program thinks are the right numbers. In order to change it is necessary to "clear" the preset numbers first.

Select the blue "fx" at the right side of the entry box, and then select "clear". You will then be able to enter anything you want.

Gene

1.jpg
1.jpg (53.39 KiB) Viewed 1022 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (49.27 KiB) Viewed 1022 times
brose

Post by brose »

That worked. I am now able to set them, and they appear to work. The control still shows as "greyed out".

I'm calling this "fixed".

Thank you!
Attachments
MillFaceSettings.PNG
MillFaceSettings.PNG (26.47 KiB) Viewed 991 times
Russ4262

Post by Russ4262 »

brose wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 8:09 pm That worked. I am now able to set them, and they appear to work. The control still shows as "greyed out".

I'm calling this "fixed".

Thank you!
Good morning, and another welcome to the forum!
This indeed is a bug. It is addressed in a current PR, #4815. Yes, as GeneC stated, you do have to `Clear` the value in the `Formula editor` popup window, click OK, then click elsewhere on the screen to trigger the update of the GUI task panel, at which time the value will turn black, indicating ability to edit. However, due to the bug the value is still read-only, forcing the user to enter the desired value in the `Formula editor` window.

Have a great day.
Russell

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.24954 +49 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: feature_extensions_to_adaptive
Hash: 039cb0881a8b85733dab1b96dd16a0bebcabf37b
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.1
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)