"Feed and Speed Calculator addon" integration & update including scripted creation of ToolControllers

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
noah

Re: "Feed and Speed Calculator addon" integration & update including scripted creation of ToolControllers

Post by noah »

Very nice work!

I think it would be an excellent addition to Path, especially since this topic has brought up multiple times in the forum over the years. I also found it useful as a standalone, open-source calculator since the other open-source ones I came across (ShakeOko Materials and brturn/feeds-and-speeds) didn't speak metric units.
throwaway1

Re: "Feed and Speed Calculator addon" integration & update including scripted creation of ToolControllers

Post by throwaway1 »

Any updates on this? Development on GitHub appears to have stalled.

Here’s an old discussion on the F&S topic: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=53424
spanner888

Post by spanner888 »

throwaway1 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:19 pm Any updates on this? Development on GitHub appears to have stalled.
The alternate viewpoint is that exceptionally few users have provided feedback after actually installing and using this addon, thus not much dev has occurred since first post in this thread.

throwaway1 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:19 pm Here’s an old discussion on the F&S topic: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=53424
Yes there are several discussions on this topic, one of which lead me to discover this addon and eventually after help from lots of other posts make some changes to the addon and publish in this thread.
jescombe

Post by jescombe »

Nice work, is great to see this functionality inside the Path workbench!

Only have one bit of feedback from my initial testing, updating the tool material doesn't seem to change the generated output until another action is taken to trigger this (i.e. changing the machining material to something else and then back again). Appreciate this would usually be set from the tool library anyway, but as it's changeable in the dialog...

A toolbar icon would be a nice addition as well, but suspect that's on the roadmap already?

Anyway, great work - thanks!
jescombe

Post by jescombe »

Just fyi - have downloaded the latest AppImage (26375), and the Path->Addons menu is missing - so can't get to the addon. Is working in the previous weekly that I have (26306).

Cheers, Jon.

OS: Fedora Linux 35 (Workstation Edition) (GNOME/gnome)
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.26375 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at 8a6e3d1)
Hash: 8a6e3d1b766a34546806b22d750929c2d00e30a6
Python version: 3.9.7
Qt version: 5.12.9
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.5.3
Locale: English/United Kingdom (en_GB)
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

jescombe wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:31 pm Just fyi - have downloaded the latest AppImage (26375), and the Path->Addons menu is missing - so can't get to the addon. Is working in the previous weekly that I have (26306).
Path doesn't have an addon menu. Are you referring to the Tools->add-on manager?
jescombe

Post by jescombe »

sliptonic wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:44 pm
jescombe wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:31 pm Just fyi - have downloaded the latest AppImage (26375), and the Path->Addons menu is missing - so can't get to the addon. Is working in the previous weekly that I have (26306).
Path doesn't have an addon menu. Are you referring to the Tools->add-on manager?
I guess this addon added itself to the Path menu? See below, this "Path Addons" menu item is no longer present in the latest AppImage...
feeds_speeds.jpg
feeds_speeds.jpg (77.75 KiB) Viewed 2547 times
spanner888

Post by spanner888 »

The addon is not yet "built into" FreeCAD, nor is it in the Addon Manager as yet.

You can find install instructions and download it from here

While this addon currently works well, there are some currently minor bugs and it is felt that there needs to be some further enhancements, such as material based ChipLoad.

I have just started making progress on allowing the addon to run as a standalone app outside of FreeCAD as requested by several users, including @sliptonic. This will then lead to some discussion on approach to handling current unit/display bugs as well as how to mange units outside of FreeCAD (without all the builtin units support).
jescombe

Post by jescombe »

spanner888 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:48 pm The addon is not yet "built into" FreeCAD, nor is it in the Addon Manager as yet.

You can find install instructions and download it from here
Yup, appreciate is still in development. But just for clarity, I have the addon installed, and is working fine in previous AppImage versions - was just reporting here that the menu item does not appear in the latest AppImage. Happy to raise as an issue in your repo if that is more appropriate?
spanner888

Post by spanner888 »

Sorry I misunderstood.

Is the "Path Addons" menu item still visible on the Path Menu and then is then the "Feeds and Speeds" sub menu item just a blank menu entry?

If so this might be an existing issue which might be related, but I am not sure from your description. I still get this very occasionally on recent builds, but as it is intermittent, have not yet tracked it down.

I am using fairly recent appimages as well as more recent build and menu item still appears, except for the very occasional instance of above bug.