A view on FreeCAD 0.18 form my viewpoint.

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
lgrfbs

A view on FreeCAD 0.18 form my viewpoint.

Post by lgrfbs »

I have now sat for 3 hours trying to get to NC files in the Path part of FreeCAD.

Starts Alibre Design and creates the model that is exported to an IGES file, ready in 10 minutes.

Loaded the IGES file, no problem.

Starting up my little milling machine, because it shouldn't take long to get FreeCAD to create the NC file I need.

FreeCAD puts the tool down as far into the material as possible and I can't find a way to tell FreeCAD that the tool should start at the edge of the material.

Deletes that tool path to try something else that might work better.

Now I'm sitting with Internel Error, jippy how happy I'm going to be. just start over.

Why I don't run FreeCAD 0.19?
Can't use the tool library in that version I'm not compatible with that way of thinking.

I can't stand all the commands that have other names in FreeCAD are out in the industry where I normally work.

I'm so frustrated at FreeCAD right now.......
Attachments
Fixtur.igs
(109.39 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
Windows 10 64bit
Best FreeCAD for me right now: FreeCAD 0.18.4 and testing FreeCAD 0.21.1 to see if it is better.
Main CAD program: Alibre Design™ Expert, Version: V25 64-bit [Build 25033]
GeneFC
Veteran

Re: A view on FreeCAD 0.18 form my viewpoint.

Post by GeneFC »

That is a pretty unreasonable expectation. To believe that you can be an expert with FreeCAD in a few minutes is a bit ridiculous.

In any case, I opened your file in FreeCAD (version 0.20.25220), and I set up a Job to create nc paths.

I had no trouble at all creating a path to clear the upper recess. You did not say what you are trying to do so I cannot offer any more help at this time.

If you really want help, rather than ranting about the interface then add a bit more information.

(The interface is not going to change in the next few minutes. Either learn to use it or go elsewhere.)

Gene
lgrfbs

Post by lgrfbs »

"That is a pretty unreasonable expectation. To believe that you can be an expert with FreeCAD in a few minutes is a bit ridiculous."
yes, you're right.
That's not what I was trying to be either.

"In any case, I opened your file in FreeCAD (version 0.20.25220), and I set up a Job to create nc paths.
I had no trouble at all creating a path to clear the upper recess. You did not say what you are trying to do so I cannot offer any more help at this time."

What I was trying to do was that the tool would start outside the stock and not as I got to the point where the tool goes way into the stock to dive straight into the stock.
Now I have got to the NC files I needed for this project, but they do not have the right starting point so, they simply cannot be released to the machine as the tool dives straight into the raw material.

"
(The interface is not going to change in the next few minutes. Either learn to use it or go elsewhere.)"

That's good advice.
Windows 10 64bit
Best FreeCAD for me right now: FreeCAD 0.18.4 and testing FreeCAD 0.21.1 to see if it is better.
Main CAD program: Alibre Design™ Expert, Version: V25 64-bit [Build 25033]
Russ4262

Post by Russ4262 »

lgrfbs wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:02 pm I have now sat for 3 hours trying to get to NC files in the Path part of FreeCAD.
I'm so frustrated at FreeCAD right now.......
Afternoon.
I also find FreeCAD frustrating at times. Nonetheless, the investment I have made in learning how to use it better has been well worth my time and effort.

My first recommendation is that you upgrade to at least the latest 0.19 release. Additionally, I really recommend you use the latest weekly builds of pre_0.20 dev version. Yes there are some significant changes, but users who work with the latest official release, or even the weekly builds of the dev version, are more likely to find the assistance they need here in the forum, and FreeCAD capabilities they are looking for.

On to your project...
I imported the IGS file you provided. Thanks. I used the Check Geometry feature in the Part workbench on the Fixtur object. It identified some errors that I did not understand related to edges and faces. Nonetheless, I pressed on.

I am able to add a Job001 object based on the imported Fixtur shape. I added paths successfully. The only problem Path WB had in my efforts was with the small holes. Because the top of the holes are made of two edges, rather than a single circle, the Drilling op failed to identify the holes. However, these can still be added manually in the Locations tab of the Drilling op - which I did not do in Job001.

I also rebuilt your object as best I could using the Part Design workbench and created Job based on this new Body object. This allowed the Drilling op to identify the small holes automatically.

No matter the job used, the Adaptive op has a bug that produces unwanted and disastrous paths. I used some tweaks to the Adaptive settings to eliminate these unwanted artifacts, and added an edge cleanup Profile after the Adaptive to compensate for the tweaks made in Adaptive.

Otherwise, a nice project.
I did use 0.19 for my efforts here.
I did set Z=0.0 to the bottom of the part in both jobs. I think this is contrary to many industry practices, but my personal use and preference.
Yes, the new ToolBit system is new to version 0.19, but tutorials and documentation are improving to support users.

Thanks,
Russell

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24291 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-19
Hash: 7b5e18a0759de778b74d3a5c17eba9cb815035ac
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Attachments
Fixtur_1.FCStd
Source file with paths and new Body reproduction
(578.26 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
Job based on the newly created Body reproduction of the imported shape.
Job based on the newly created Body reproduction of the imported shape.
Snip macro screenshot-dd8116.png (220.3 KiB) Viewed 1063 times
phil from seattle

Post by phil from seattle »

I'm in a similar situation. Low FC miles under my belt and feeling a bit frustrated. But, I'm not complaining. Coming from F360 most recently, I get that CAD is never intuitive, even the expensive heavily resourced products. It seems like inherent complexity is the nature of the CAD/CAM beast. Every CAD and or CAM I've used has had a steep learning curve.

Any way, I really appreciate the incredible efforts the developers of FC have put in. You can't go from start to polished in short order so some rough edges are to be expected.