Help Getting Started on Simple Part (Can't seem to remove bulk stock)

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
justacec

Help Getting Started on Simple Part (Can't seem to remove bulk stock)

Post by justacec »

I have been trying to figure out some of the details on using the Path WB. I have watched several of the tutorials online and they all make some sense to me but I am having a hard time trying to figure out how to setup a particular part. I have added the part into a FC file and have attached to this message. Here is an image of the part:
Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 9.44.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 9.44.31 PM.png (73.09 KiB) Viewed 795 times
I believe this part would take two setups to complete it. The first would handle the profiling the narrow shaft, facing the top part of the shaft, removing the bulk of the stock material, and drilling the holes through. The second setup would profile the wider shaft section, profile the smaller shaft section, and then finally apply the chamfer.

I have got bits and pieces of this to work. One of the things that I was simply unable to do was to figure out how to remove the bulk of the stock material in a circular pattern when profiling the narrow longer shaft on the first setup.

As this is a fairly simple part, I thought it might be helpful is somebody would take this file and add necessary operations so I can then inspect it and learn from it.

I am also confused about the right way to add a second setup. I am guessing that would be to add an additional Path Job Object in the document tree. But not sure how that tracks the state of the stock (or does it need to) as it comes out of the previous setup.

I am using:
Freecad: 0.20-25220
MacOS: 11.4
Attachments
milling_practice.FCStd
(37.35 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
bmsaus4ax

Re: Help Getting Started on Simple Part (Can't seem to remove bulk stock)

Post by bmsaus4ax »

justacec wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:46 am I have got bits and pieces of this to work.
One of the things that I was simply unable to do was to figure out how to remove the bulk of the stock material in a circular pattern when profiling the narrow longer shaft on the first setup.
As this is a fairly simple part, I thought it might be helpful is somebody would take this file and add necessary operations so I can then inspect it and learn from it.
One possible solution in attached modification of your file.
I don't usually do it this way but the newer extensions features ( at least since I last looked at this operation ) give a good result. I particularly like the fact that the 'Extend Face__ ' gets the tool path to always start one loop in from the outer edge, rather than the alternating inside/outside starts.

The extension selections as they are in this particular operation are what makes it behave as it does in this case.

Click on the blue dot symbol and enter an extension value to start outside your stock if you need more than the default. A clue here in that you may not see the entry update after OK, just click in another field and it will update.
I am also confused about the right way to add a second setup.
Just highlight either 'Job' or 'Operation' in the tree list and select the next type of operation you want to add. All the operations within a particular 'Job' are based on the same object.

I f you want to work on a different model you create a new Job
.OS: Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS (ubuntu:GNOME/ubuntu)
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.25288 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: bbb557aab6129efd9486d6df19f06c2976fdb7e5
Python version: 3.9.6
Qt version: 5.12.9
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.5.2
Locale: English/Australia (en_AU)
Attachments
milling_practice_mod.FCStd