Handling Tessellated Shapes.

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
keithsloan52
Veteran

Handling Tessellated Shapes.

Post by keithsloan52 »

I developed the importer for the OpenSCAD workbench.

If a user imports a model with a hull request they can end up with a Tessellated shape, is this something the Path workbench can handle?

Example file
MultiGroup.FCStd
(424.95 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
Thanks
GeneFC
Veteran

Re: Handling Tessellated Shapes.

Post by GeneFC »

keithsloan52 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:20 pm is this something the Path workbench can handle?
I do not know anything about OpenSCAD or hulls, but I tried opening your file and playing with the Path WB.

It is clearly possible to set up a Path Job and make paths of various sorts.

I am not sure what to do with a tessellated "hot dog", so I did not go any further.

Certainly worth testing by someone who knows what is wanted.

The one big issue I saw was that many Path operations require selection of faces or edges. There are a great many faces and edges in the provided file, so that selection could be tedious and difficult. Perhaps there is some simplified group selection that I do not know.

Gene
bmsaus4ax

Post by bmsaus4ax »

keithsloan52 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:20 pm is this something the Path workbench can handle?

Thanks
I tested 3D Surface for both Planer and Rotational Scan Type and there seems to be no problem when leaving the selection as whole geometry.
Only checked surfacing operations, but OCL is happy enough.
Presumably in working with hull you would only be looking at surface contours.
Attachments
MultiGroup_test.FCStd
(912.46 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

Thanks for the info - Think need to find somebody who is into OpenSCAD with access to CNC etc who can do some testing and report back on their experiences.