Proposed cut pattern updates: PR #4965

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
GeneFC
Veteran

Re: Proposed cut pattern updates: PR #4965

Post by GeneFC »

I finally had the opportunity to compile and test this PR. First, following the test outlined above I got the following:

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (74.88 KiB) Viewed 3325 times

Close, but not exactly the same. The script may have changed since the image was posted. In any case the test worked fine with no problems. There was a warning message in the Report View, but I do not know if this is important.

I tried a few of my own patterns from older models, and the paths seemed to work correctly with the new unified Clearing operation. The only thing I noticed immediately is that the depth controls seem to be gone from the Task Panel. They are still in the Property Panel, of course, but those are controls I use for every operation. The defaults are almost never suitable. I never use the recommended step down, and I usually tweak the final depth for one reason or another.

In any case, this looks like a useful update.

I will keep playing and report anything interesting.

Gene
Russ4262

Post by Russ4262 »

Evening GeneFC.
Thanks for testing and providing some feedback! Very much appreciated! I have rebased the branch on master, locally. I am building now while I grade papers from school. I will test the macro script in the OP with all the changes I have made to see if the macro is still functional. I see your images do not have the Adaptive paths, so I think the script might need adjusting, or perhaps I broke some code somewhere.

RE: Depths
In this PR, the Heights and Depths tabs are combined into a single unified "Depths and Heights" or "Heights and Depths" tab, with the explanatory image from the wiki included.

I will try to report back later this evening, 19:05 CST here, when the build has finished and I have tested the macro in the OP.

I have not touched my initial progress on the "KeepToolDown" feature in a couple weeks. Too busy. When I get back to it and have updates, I will post those in the future, hopefully with some test images for comparison and discussion/feedback.

Have a great night!

Russell
Russ4262

Post by Russ4262 »

Okay. Build done.
Downloaded macro from OP. Works correctly on my end. Screenshot attached (second).

I noticed that the first column in your image is lacking the Adaptive paths. Perhaps that is the original version of the macro I posted? I can only speculate. I have made a number of corrections and improvements to the code since originally posting. Seems like I recall having a similar result early on.

Ah... I see what you mean about the Depths task panel. Hmm. I will check that. It should be combined Heights and Depths as in the OP. I likely have an incorrect task panel reference file in the GUI code. I will check and report back. Screenshot attached (first) for reference.

My result with today's rebased build.

Russell

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.25727 +2 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: fix/clearing_patterns
Hash: ca483f60d34bf034de33ec663c022c01cbe98b9f
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Attachments
Snip macro screenshot-f705ac.png
Snip macro screenshot-f705ac.png (261.34 KiB) Viewed 3232 times
Snip macro screenshot-853759.png
Snip macro screenshot-853759.png (260.86 KiB) Viewed 3232 times
Russ4262

Post by Russ4262 »

Okay. Found the "Depths" task panel issue. It was in the script. I failed to update the script after making improvements to the PR branch. I will update the script to version 3.0 in the OP to reflect the improvements in the proposed PR.

Thanks for your help!

Russell
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

Russ4262 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:24 am I noticed that the first column in your image is lacking the Adaptive paths. Perhaps that is the original version of the macro I posted?
I downloaded the links (yesterday) in your first post. They may not be correct for the latest versions. I am not sure where to find the more recent macro.

Gene
Russ4262

Post by Russ4262 »

GeneFC wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:12 pm ...
I downloaded the links (yesterday) in your first post. They may not be correct for the latest versions. I am not sure where to find the more recent macro.

Gene
Afternoon sir.
I updated yesterday the macro in the OP, including version 3 in the file descriptor. The "Depths" tab problem was sourced in the macro, not the PR. Once l fixed the macro to point to the new PathOoGui2 file, the correct "Heights and Depths" combined task panel poped up for the operations generated with the macro.

As for the first column of Adaptive paths not being generated, that might be due to an outdated source code. I would suggest pulling the most recent version of the PR branch code. The macro is running correctly on my end, as well as the two new ops (so far... lol), Perimeter and Clearing.

Have a great Thursday Gene!

Thanks for the collaboration and feedback.

Russell
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

I finally got the latest version compiled and then tested with the updated macro. My results looked identical to the images you posted on 9-15.

I did not yet do much testing of other patterns. I will continue to play with this and report anything interesting.

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.25729 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 75980304f32b2bc29fe35f8abec2ad2b77bba103
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)

Gene
memfis

Post by memfis »

?
Colleagues, how is the condition? - I would like to see this already in the public appimage
Russ4262

Post by Russ4262 »

memfis wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:39 am ?
Colleagues, how is the condition? - I would like to see this already in the public appimage
No change pertaining to review readiness. It is not ready for review. I have the PR as Draft. The PR exists to allow for easier collaboration with the FC community. I do not see it being ready for conversion to a standard PR for some time.

As for status of the features in the PR, when I have time for it, I am working on applying the new pattern generation class and selection classes to the 3D Surface op. I have this started as a new Facing op in the branch, so as to keep with Sliptonic's great suggestion of developing in parallel or independently. To follow this advice, this PR currently has three new ops that make use of the new classes and refactoring, without modifying existing ops. Doing this allows users to test the new, while still having access to the existing.

One of my goals is to get all the applicable 2D/3D ops to use the same selection and pattern generation classes to provide consistency and easier maintenance/upgrade. As of this post, the branch might be partially broken because of recent partial commits related to refactoring.

Otherwise, work on `KeepToolDown` for 2D ops needs more attention, as it is only partially functional/applied at the moment. I will not start application of the same on the new 3D Surface (Facing op in PR) until all cut patterns are functional, including Adaptive cut pattern, and after I have Single/Multi-pass functional again (would like to add some path efficiency improvements while reworking the code).

I have worked to refactor some of the new code into smaller modules for easier maintenance and access.

Overall, this is a long-term project I am doing. I just like to share what I am working on with others since they often help correct my mistakes. Also, some users get some practical use and Path improvements along the way. And, the work seems to be good for generating discussion about how we can improve Path in various areas, what those improvements might look like, or what should be left well alone (lol).

So, all in all, this code will not be ready for an official AppImage in the near term.

It is available for those who are able to compile from source.

Have a great day and thanks for the support.

Russell
memfis

Post by memfis »

How does it move?