V-Shape tool (V-bit)

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
nealexey

V-Shape tool (V-bit)

Post by nealexey »

Hello everybody!

Please prompt me how can I use the V-shape-tool (V-bit)? The Freecad calculates the operation trajectory as if the cutter has the same tip diameter as the shank. I am using Freecad 0.19. Although I need to start at first with an indent in the diameter of the tip (by 0mm depth), and then, as it deepens, retreat from the edge, compensating for the angle of inclination of the cutting tool.

I myself could not configure it, and I could not also find the tutorial.

something similar is discussed here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=61820, however, I do not need to do invert-mating parts, I just need to make a fairly thin relief with a thin tool.

Thank you for your help.
nealexey

Re: V-Shape tool (V-bit)

Post by nealexey »

Thank you, but this is unfortunately not what I want. I need with V-tool to execute a Pocket-operation or 3-D pocket. And it considers the trajectory as if the tool did not have a V-shape, i.e. it always counts along the larger radius. Is it possible to make somehow?
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

I am not really sure what you are trying to do, but you can fake the tool shape any way you like. You might find something that allows automatic path creation the way you want.

Check carefully of course if you do something like that.

There is no FreeCAD monitor in your shop to check for fake tool shapes. :mrgreen:

Gene
nealexey

Post by nealexey »

Hello Gene,

thank you for the answer and sorry for so long termination from my side.

I try now to show more clear with the picture, what I mean (sorry, I'm not good at sketch drawing by hand :) ):
IMG_20211009_164017.jpg
IMG_20211009_164017.jpg (348.09 KiB) Viewed 3264 times
I need that on each next layer the tool moves away from the part, taking into account the taper of its shape. And I get all the paths at each step the same, such as if the tool has a rectangular section.

Is it possible that the program itself calculates the trajectory in this way (as is done, for example, in MasterCam), or is it necessary to calculate the tool diameter for each layer and set the calculation of each layer separately?
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

First, make sure you are using a very recent version 0.20 of FreeCAD. A lot of the tool stuff is fairly new.

The other thing that is required is that the model is the same as the final desired shape. If I understand your hand sketch you are trying to taper an edge that is square, not tapered, in the model. For that to work automatically you would need to use a chamfer operation of some sort.

If can explain a bit more and include a sample file you may get more help.

Gene
nealexey

Post by nealexey »

Hallo Gene,

thank you for the answer!

I also thought about chamfer operation. Basically, I don't need a chamfer. I just need to cut out very small elements in some places, smaller than the size of the smallest available rectangular tools, so I use such taper tools. The taper edge that remains after processing the edge, shown in model as square, is parasitic for me, but not critical. I thought that Freecad, like MasterCam for example, is able to increase the distance from edge automatically when deepening the tool.

I have version 0.19. I'll try to put 0.20 now, thanks!

If this is not possible in the new version as well, then I will, of course, add a chamfer with an angle of 5 degrees (the slope angle of the taper of the tool) and set a little tool diameter (diameter at the base of the taper).

I will write about the results.
nealexey

Post by nealexey »

Gene, hello again.

I just checked FreeCAD versions, and it is written, that the last stable one, is 0.19.2. Are you really advice to install prereleased 0.20? If so, that that build do you advice?

Thank you!
Alexey
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

If you use Path workbench you should use 0.20. It is a development version, but it is far from being experimental. "Stable" means, it is no longer under development and only serious bugs are fixed.
So it turns out that the development version usually contains less bugs than the stable version.

There are some rare occasions where things in the development version deteriorate, that means things are getting worse instead of better. This is usually fixed within a couple of days, so a week later you would have a fixed program.

Other software releases have a completely different meaning of development version, but in FreeCAD there are only few developers who can merge code into the official version. They take greatest care that the development version is indeed as stable as described above.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
nealexey

Post by nealexey »

Hallo Chrisb,

Thank you for explanation. I installed the version 0.20 (build 25997). But it calculates trajectory absolutely in the same way, as a 0.19 (build 24291). I used the function "Profile".

And one more thing, that I noticed, is that these two buttons:
Screenshot from 2021-10-11 21-40-43.png
Screenshot from 2021-10-11 21-40-43.png (31.43 KiB) Viewed 2925 times
in the tool menu are calling the same window "Save toolbit library". This behavior I see also in both versions of FreeCad.

With best regards,
Alexey