PATH Development Meetup?

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sliptonic
Veteran

PATH Development Meetup?

Post by sliptonic »

A couple months ago I decided to get serious about developing some basic 3+2 capability so we could use 4th and 5th axis devices to do the kinds of operations we do now in 2.5D. This turned out to be a lot more challenging than I expected.

It isn't that the functionality is particularly difficult to develop. The problem is that the way Path is currently organized makes it hard to follow and harder to change. Much of the current functionality isn't covered by tests and It's really hard to to write new tests for it. As a result, changes usually cause new regression bugs, broken functionality, and unsightly hair-loss.

I haven't merged much lately because I'm concerned about adding complexity to a system that is already hard to maintain.

I've been experimenting with some ideas that mlampert laid out for how operations might be refactored to make them simpler, testable, and easier to extend. Nothing I have is ready for prime-time but I have enough to demonstrate the ideas and seek feedback.

Is there interest in a having another online Path meetup within the next month or so? If so, I'll propose some dates, at least a few weeks out.

I have the following topics to discuss but will happily extend the list if someone wants to talk about something else. I don't want this to be just me talking to a bunch of faces on zoom so if you have ideas how me can make this more of a discussion, I'd appreciate it.

0) Where we are now and why it kinda sucks.
1) refactoring operations: (Generators, Target shapes, Tests, code organization)
2) Machines, simulation, visualization
3) Roadmap, backward compatibility, documentation
4) How can we make it easier for new developers to contribute?
chrisb
Veteran

Re: PATH Development Meetup?

Post by chrisb »

I can probably not contribute much, but I would be happy to follow.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
troyp76

Post by troyp76 »

Count me in.

I have been exploring using FreeCAD / Path to generate paths for 4 axis laser tube cutting.
Not sure if this is of interest to anyone else but I could run through my (limited) progress so far.
(That's assuming people will be able to understand my Aussie accent :) )

Otherwise it would be great just to hear and hopefully participate in what you have outlined.
Russ4262

Post by Russ4262 »

I would like to participate.

Russell
EskiBrew

Post by EskiBrew »

I'd be interested in attending although I'm in the UK so time of day may be a hurdle for me.
I'd like to help in some way with FreeCAD but I only have a 3 axis machine so can't do much on the 4th and 5th axis Path work.
Recently I have been working on some python to generate non-circular gear sets.
The Modern Wizard

Post by The Modern Wizard »

Not sure how much help I'd be, (only very basic programming skills and some experience with a CNC router) but I'm very interested.
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

Here's a stab at a doodle poll for scheduling.
Since the total number of people seems limited, I included some times in the coming weekend and also some a few weeks out.

https://doodle.com/poll/b4iib2t5gaw2dqp ... edium=link
Michaelv

Post by Michaelv »

Very Interested.
I worked on a CAM addon for Sketchup (ruby), so while I'm not completely fluent (python) and not familiar yet at all with the freecad SDK I can probably help.
Also very interested currently in developing CNC and 3D printers with 5 axis (swivel 5 axis, cartesian table machining head moves B and C), so I also need to work on the CAM part. :)
agren

Post by agren »

Nice initiative!

I've been interested in contributing for a while. So I'd like to attend.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

You guys may have a look on FEM and Draft code. Both modules have been refactored for the same reasons you would like to refractor Path.