[Closed] How to avoid G0 X0 Y0 Zclearance on RampEntryDressup ?

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ZeFerby

[Closed] How to avoid G0 X0 Y0 Zclearance on RampEntryDressup ?

Post by ZeFerby »

Hello FreeCAD'ers and big thanks to the devs and community for this amazing software.

I just started using the Path WB to play with my new and first noob CNC (a 220€ little 3018), creating a small project for a "Cyclone" vacuum mount plate on a plastic drum.

Using 3 Profile operations in one job, I noticed that when I add RampEntry dressups, I always get a "return to WCS origin / clearance height" for each of these and I could not find an option to avoid that when chaining operations.

Did I go wrong when adding dressups or miss anything ?

When I play with Undo/Redo to delete/re-add RampEntryDressup001 in the attached project, I see this does not happen with DressupTag.

Thanks,

Eric

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24291 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-19
Hash: 7b5e18a0759de778b74d3a5c17eba9cb815035ac
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.0
Locale: French/France (fr_FR)
Attachments
CycloneMountPlate.FCStd
(85.98 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
Last edited by ZeFerby on Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GeneFC
Veteran

Re: [NOOB] How to avoid G0 X0 Y0 Zclearance on RampEntryDressup ?

Post by GeneFC »

I did not see any message like that when I looked at your file.

I did see an error in the model structure. There is an illegal link as shown in the portion of the Dependency Graph shown here.

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (24.67 KiB) Viewed 1349 times

I do not know if this is important, but I like to eliminate all errors.

I am using a very recent version 0.20. That may be important, since there have been many updates to the Path WB in the past few months.

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.25645 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 37d9757399b4c2ec30318eb88d7cd7c508246345
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)

Gene
ZeFerby

Post by ZeFerby »

Thanks for having a look, Gene.

And OOPS I did not mean that it is a message/popup/log or anything, it's just that each RampEntry dressup inserts a rapid move to WCS origin (G0 X0 Y0 Zclearance) while for example the first one in the project is working on 4 holes and moves the tool straight from one hole to the next at safe height, without coming back at clearance height to the WCS origin.

On a small very slow machine with a more complex project I imagine minutes wasted...
Of course I can just manually remove the line in the resulting Gcode, but I'd like to be able to streamline the workflow without manual edits if possible.

As for the dependency graph, I'll probably get it working on my next (Ubuntu) box but my old W7 gives me a graphviz error whenever I try to use it. I see from your post how it could be helpful.

I guess the reason it shows an illegal link is because i did not start the project with the master sketch but already had the part+body before creating it, and it was originally inside the body and I moved it to the root of the project.

Sorry for my poor frenchglish...

PS: By the way do you think a Path WB Noob should/not venture along the path ;) of installing FC developement version for Path WB's sake ?

Eric
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

Your English is lot better than my French, even though I studied French for several years. Just never used it to keep in practice. :cry:

The "safe" options to move to clearance height (and similar) are frequent topics on the forum. I always simulate new g-code files (in Camotics), and if I see what appears to be excessive "safety" I manually edit the g-code file. It is a matter of efficiency. For one-off projects it is often better to just do it and not spend time trying to optimize the machine run time. Obviously different for production.

There is an option in some operations to "keep tool down" which usually helps. If that option is not directly in the Task Panel it is sometimes in the Properties Panel in the main Combo view. You might need to right click and select "Show all" to see the option. Just be sure the check carefully that you have not introduced tool crashes.

I highly recommend the latest development versions of FreeCAD for almost every purpose. The number of bugs is actually smaller than the number in the released versions, since bugs are squashed every day. Occasionally a new bug slips in, but it is found and removed quickly.

Gene
ZeFerby

Re: [Closed] How to avoid G0 X0 Y0 Zclearance on RampEntryDressup ?

Post by ZeFerby »

Ok, manual edits it will be, when needed. I did not find any hidden property related to the issue on these derssups.

Thanks for your time, I'll think about my setup on the Ubuntu box to have both release + dev FC versions working...I guess I'll have to bring my git skills up to date...
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

ZeFerby wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:05 pm PS: By the way do you think a Path WB Noob should/not venture along the path ;) of installing FC developement version for Path WB's sake ?
FreeCAD's so called "Development" versions have nothing experimental. The developers merging new things nto the master version are extremely thorough and thus this version is almost always better in almost every aspect than the stable version. For Path I too highly recommend it.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.