Tool editor parameters

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
andlan

Tool editor parameters

Post by andlan »

Hi everyone
someone could help me to understand the tools parameters on the tool editor because the bit thumbnails of the varius type are missing.
Ex. Type countersink
The parameters are Diameter, Flat radius, Corner Radius and so on.

Thank you
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Tool editor parameters

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Did you have a look at sliptonics video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xgsm3jfHkZ4 ?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
bmsaus4ax

Re: Tool editor parameters

Post by bmsaus4ax »

andlan wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:26 pm Hi everyone
someone could help me to understand the tools parameters on the tool editor because the bit thumbnails of the varius type are missing.
Ex. Type countersink
The parameters are Diameter, Flat radius, Corner Radius and so on.

Thank you
The easiest way I have found to visualise the tool parameters is to open the Tool Shape files in FreeCAD
HIghlight "Attributes"
and change the Property Values in the DATA tab to see what it applies to. ** Note use Close without saving when finished so you do not alter the standard template !!

Also Note here that some Property names are not the same as the names in the tool creation dialog. e.g., Flat Radius is called "Tip Diameter" in the Shape Property list and the tool tip/hint when you place the mouse pointer over it is "Width of flat bottom"

If you need to locate the folder for the Tool Shape Files look in "Tools -> Edit Parameters -> Preferences -> Mod -> Path
Find the line "LastPathToolShape" , the Value column contains the directory path to the files.
In that directory you will find .fcstd files for the included tool shapes.