[Solved] Milling at two sides

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
dasarne

[Solved] Milling at two sides

Post by dasarne »

Hello,
I would like to mill a workpiece from two sides.
For this I followed the very good tutorial from sliptonic on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjlfL5IQxzI). By the way, many, many thanks for this great introduction!
To show the problem in a concentrated way I have created the following example project:
test.FCStd
(51.36 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
The job bottom now needs an inversion of the Z-axis. What is the easiest way to do this? :?:
  • Via the setup of the job?
  • Via the transformation of the associated model? Unfortunately, the function "Transform" to the model does not work.
    Milling on two sides.png
    Milling on two sides.png (156.08 KiB) Viewed 1543 times
  • Is there a simple workaround via the placement parameters in the base of the model?
    Placement-Parameter.png
    Placement-Parameter.png (18.3 KiB) Viewed 1543 times
Thank you for your support and I am looking forward to your answers.

With best regards
Arne
Last edited by dasarne on Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GeneFC
Veteran

Re: Milling at two sides

Post by GeneFC »

I guess I do not really understand the problem. You should be able to spin the Model-Body (in Job-Bottom) to any orientation you want with the placement and/or attachment parameters. The Job dialog also has a number of useful movement and alignment options.

I have done exactly that sort of reorientation many times.

Are you saying this process does not work in this case?

Gene
dasarne

Re: Milling at two sides

Post by dasarne »

Hi GeneFC,
thank you for your advice. So in order to be able to mill my workpiece from below, I have selected the following settings in Base:
Base-Setup-Rotate-Z.png
Base-Setup-Rotate-Z.png (16.37 KiB) Viewed 1439 times

As you can see, I rotate the model around the y-axis by 180°. This reverses the direction of the x-axis and the z-axis. If you don't believe this, you can do it step by step (by turning the mouse wheel) then it becomes visible.
Of course, it would be nicer if "Transform" would do that job. This way it works however also.

Now the workpiece is rotated. :arrow: Don't forget to disable the Body and enable the Base-Model of this Job. ;)
Job-Origin-Setup.png
Job-Origin-Setup.png (120.68 KiB) Viewed 1439 times

With this following I have to recalculate the Stock in the Setup. (Unfortunately it loses its name in this process). But then it works.
You can download the file with the edited surfaces here.
test.FCStd
(57.99 KiB) Downloaded 30 times

Thanks again for the many very helpful tips here in the forum! :D

Many regards
Arne
chrisb
Veteran

Re: [Solved] Milling at two sides

Post by chrisb »

I missed Transform as well, and I see no reason why it should be disabled. I guess it happened accidentally. If you want to turn your model e.g. first around the y axis and then around z-axis, you can use the Placement dialog and check the incremental box. With that enabled its possibilities are very similar to using the Transform tool.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.