how to modify tool bit files

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sliptonic
Veteran

Re: how to modify tool bit files

Post by sliptonic »

freman wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:46 am No, I think I did a PR but forgot to add the tool files when creating it. Then I got tired of arguing about all this and left it to those who thought they knew better. I don't mind contributing solutions but I don't have time to campaign for them.
Let me make sure I understand. You didn't submit a fix but you don't have time to argue about it? Ok, got it.
It seems several suggestions were taken up. But the 10um trick was not applied to all dimensions which need it. That was why I posted the screen shot above showing how to prevent the zero tip diameter problem.
You make suggestions and then wait for others to implement them. Noted.
Since shank in non critical, it would be best to frig that dimension rather than any cutting edge dimensions.
Is this one of those suggestions you're waiting on or a fix you're not going to submit?
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

That's exactly the kind of pissy attitude which make me not want to bother with social engineering battles needed to get anything accepted round here.

Thanks for reminding me why stopped bothering to push this though last time. I was just about to waste my time digging out my old files, seeing whether they still work and creating a new PR. Now I won't bother.

It's a nice day out. I'll go out and walk the dog instead.
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

Wait a second. You posted on this topic five times in less than seven hours. Clearly some kind of emergency.
I offered a solution that took less than 15 minutes and didn't even require a code change. Nothing but a tweak to the tool shape file sketch.
You respond that you HAD that fix a year ago but 'forgot' to send the files in the PR.

I object to this shocking and disrespectful waste of my time and you write that off as ME being 'pissy'?

Excuse me, but where do you get off?
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

Actually, don't bother answering. I've blocked you so I won't see your response anyway.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

freman wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:18 am I'll go out and walk the dog instead.
That's always a good idea! And then you should sit down and think your decision over. Your attitude seems in fact to be rather childish ("I have something phantastic, but I will not show you, nya nya nya"), but it would be better if you leave such behaviour in the far past.

Sliptonic is a guy without whom we probably wouldn't have Path workbench at all and definitely not in its current state. So even if he was the bad boy you see in him, step back and think about the whole project - which you seem to benefit from.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
geant

Post by geant »

Hmmm!
chrisb wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:52 am Sliptonic is a guy without whom we probably wouldn't have Path workbench at all and definitely not in its current state. So even if he was the bad boy you see in him, step back and think about the whole project - which you seem to benefit from.
I mean the following with all due respect! ('quote:Ricky Bobby")

Quite true. Used to do a great job, but he has had his share of driving people (five or more) away from the forum; then sometimes eventually implemented the suggestions he lobbied against.
Recently has become quite the smart-arse from what I have observed (IMO). Wont be submitting a PR for this opinion.

Wonder if this bit of his attitude has something to do with the lastest Path contribution stagnation or if it might still be the pandemic.

Respect should not require a PR. There are a lot of contributions users can make conceptually.

At least freman is giving the toolbits a workout; and that is essential for success and improvement of PATH.

And remember to hit the LIKE button!
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

geant wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:10 am Respect should not require a PR.
Of course not, and I didn't say that at all. But how would you call an attitude of having something ready but not sharing it? Besides, I don't have the feeling that discussing such things leads to anything further.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

I think that discussing about "what seems to be bad habits" in a forum where many of us are not "natively English speakers (writers)", it could be difficult.

As I have to consult some "alternative dictionary" to even catch the "bad words" and "phrases" that were written. (sorry for my not knowledge of American english "bad guys" slang) :D.

As said @sliptonic could seem "rude", but to be honest once accustomed to some answers, he is very collaborative and a very competent guy.

I could accept some "rude" answers if they came from an "active developer", that maybe is engaged in some discussion as he is active even on gitter and some other platform where he usually answers question and help others.

@sliptonic thanks for your "rudeness" and for you hard work on Path.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

onekk wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:20 pm @sliptonic thanks for your "rudeness" and for you hard work on Path.
Thanks Carlo.

I agree with Chris that discussing further probably doesn't help but I'm going to offer a little context anyway.

First, I don't think that it is 'rude' to call-out the inappropriate behaviour of others. This isn't 'being mean' or 'creating a hostile environment'. It is doing the same thing I did for my sons when they were young. It is asking them to be better and more mature members of society. When members of our community act inappropriately, we have a duty to correct them so they can do better. And yes, that goes for me too.

What I mean by 'inappropriate behavior'

First, remember that this Path/CAM section is part of the DEVELOPMENT part of the forum. We don't have a separate area for user questions so it all ends up here. Every time someone posts, I ask myself two questions:
1) Is this a user question?
2) Is this person a user or a developer?

What is and is not acceptable in this forum (and in my opinion) depends on the answer to those questions. I'm more tolerant of frustration with the software when it comes from a user than from a developer. A user can do nothing except ask for help. They often don't have the skills or language to express exactly what the problem is. But a developer, in theory, can read the source code and can act to fix it.

I'm more tolerant of frustration with the process/community when it comes from a developer than a user. Development is difficult and time consuming. A developer getting frustrated with that has my sympathy. But a user doesn't live in that world. A user venting in THIS forum section needs to remember where they are and have respect for the difficult job others are doing on their behalf.

Some examples of bad behavior
========================
A developer who criticises a feature but won't look into the code or take time to understand it
A developer who refuses to use development tools responsibly. (git/github, tracker, forum code tags, etc)
A developer who implies that a bug/feature is an emergency but is 'too busy' to fix it themself.
A developer who attacks because their contribution isn't accepted but won't work constructively to make it happen

A user who cannot code but implies that developers are lazy or incompetent
A user who demands help but won't do anything to help themself or anyone else

Anyone who wastes the time of others.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

sliptonic wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:40 pm
onekk wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:20 pm @sliptonic thanks for your "rudeness" and for you hard work on Path.
Thanks Carlo.
You are welcome, your work is invaluable.

You work is giving FreeCAD a "decent working" path capabilities, and with future improvement, I think that it will be even usable for small shops environment, maybe not and industry standard, but for now I know only two CAM that work on Linux "FreeCAD Path module" and CamBam, (for which I wrote some Plugin too).

sliptonic wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:40 pm First, remember that this Path/CAM section is part of the DEVELOPMENT part of the forum. We don't have a separate area for user questions so it all ends up here. Every time someone posts, I ask myself two questions:
1) Is this a user question?
2) Is this person a user or a developer?

This is a good approach, despite sometimes could be difficult to distinguish between:

- "power user" or to be more clear a person who has the ability to modify sources, but is not a "proper developer"
- "Third party developers" that maybe are simply searching to "drive" modifications of the source to "ease their paid work", often without make clear this thing.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/