ADD: A new waterline algorithm

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
obelov

ADD: A new waterline algorithm

Post by obelov »

A new waterline algorithm "grid dropcutter" was developed. This algorithm was inspired by ideas of OCL Dropcutter, but is about 10 times faster and doesn't use OCL library. Instead the hard calculations are performed with numpy library. For rectangular mill the complexity is about 2.45 power of resolution. I will prepare the pull request soon.
In screenshot: the processed area is 50 x 25 mm, sampling interval 50um, processor AMD FX-8370. Dropcut scans are 5.6 .. 2.3 s, total time is 24.5 s.
Attachments
Screenshot_20220127_091801.png
Screenshot_20220127_091801.png (266.32 KiB) Viewed 2894 times
-alex-
Veteran

Re: ADD: A new waterline algorithm

Post by -alex- »

What a great news!
Thx for your effort 8-)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

+1
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

Interesting! Is your code online somewhere?
obelov

Post by obelov »

Look at the branch

https://github.com/belov-oleg/FreeCAD/t ... dropcutter

Two filles (PathWaterlineGui.py and PathWaterline.py) should be changed and one new file (PathLevelMap.py) should be appended. No recompilation required.
Giulio Buccini

Post by Giulio Buccini »

Very promising.
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

Hi obelov,
Could you give a high-level explanation of how the algorithm works? Also if you have a working example and/or screenshots of the resulting path, that would be helpful.

I'd also like to talk about integrating this into Path differently. I want to get the actual toolpath generation stuff out of the operations and into generators.

BTW, thanks for writing unit tests!
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Awesome @obelov
Looking forward to seeing your work in FreeCAD ;)
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
obelov

Post by obelov »

Thanks for acclamation :D .
I will prepare the description soon. Just now I pushed to my branch the version with one fixed bug and a serious improvements in performance for high resolutions. Now I can process my model of size 25x50 mm with resolution 10um in 133s only. This version works but is lacking in some settings.

It sounds very promising to integrate this algorithm or any similar one into other instruments. I'm using Path for my first CNC project, and I'm disappointed by non-uniformity of operations. IMHO all operations, even declared as 2D, should avoid cutting any extra pieces of the entire model (not only the selected set of features) which can be touched by the mill, an should gracefully jump over raised parts without explicit declaration. On the other hand the possibility to switch off some features from this control can be necessary for final cut-off.

Also for my job will be very pleasant to have 4-axis profiling of a curved surface so as to keep rectangular mill always normal to the surface.

I'm ready for cooperation.
obelov

New algorithm and the idea of generators

Post by obelov »

I studied the code in the branch about scripting. The idea of generators is IMHO very good and important, but I'm not in agree with the proposed in/out specifications. Generators should support chaining. For example one generator should analyze the job and generate the outer contour of the pocket, the next generator in the chain can produce the pattern, for example zigzag, for processing of the bottom, the next one can add small rotation around A-axis to produce fine curved surface with endmill and the last one can verify (and correct) path for probably conflicts with stock holders.
All generators can extract data from model immediately or through helpers.
operation->gen1->gen2->..->genN->GCode_generator
| | |
| | helper
model
In this case the data transferred between generators can be expressed as a list of N-dimensional points, probably flavored. FreeCAD points have only 3 dimensions, and usage of G-code in form of either string or tuple IMHO can decrease the speed of processing. I would prefer a simple tuple of coordinates with optional named tuple of flavors in the last element. A flavor can mark the preferred interpolation in given node with circle, decreased velocity or something more.