How accurate is Path Simulator visualization?

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ohmbrew

How accurate is Path Simulator visualization?

Post by ohmbrew »

I am milling out a bunch of 1-3/16" pockets using a 1/4" mill. This is what the simulation shows, and the milled out "circle" looks very rough. Can I expect a smoother result in real life? It seems the radius of the mill bit is well under what is required for the pocket I'm milling out. Or, is there some setting I'm missing?

Version: 0.20 on Ubuntu 20.04

Pic attached.
Attachments
Path Sim visual accuracy.jpg
Path Sim visual accuracy.jpg (250.51 KiB) Viewed 687 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: How accurate is Path Simulator visualization?

Post by chrisb »

I cannot double check now, because Path workbench is currently broken in 0.21, but AFAIR is the simulation not very accurate. I use the "Inspect G-code" tool instead, where you can mark single lines to see the corresponding path highlighted.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Meowsky

Post by Meowsky »

From my experience, it's not accurate at all. You can use it to see rough outlines of your part, but for finer details, it's straight-up useless. Despite the simulation, your part will most likely turn out just fine. If you actually need to see an accurate simulation try exporting G-code and use some other program, there are even a few websites where you can simulate online.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

Inviting @sliptonic