[Solved] Rotate toolpath

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
crap

[Solved] Rotate toolpath

Post by crap »

Hi all!

Is there a way to rotate a toolpath in FreeCAD? Im trying to efficiently mill several identical parts from a single block of material, and for this purpose I need to flip some of them upside down so I can fit more of them. I've tried rotating the base body by changing the placement in the data tab, but this does not affect the result of the path module. I tried to do the same with the paths themselves and while this does make them display as rotated they will not actually be rotated when posting the toolpath.

The only way I've found to achieve this, other than completely redrawing the part and remaking the toolpath from scratch upside down, is using polar arrays. But then I need to manually make one for each operation and there will always be both the copy and the original, so if I want only the rotated part i need to manually remove the original from the the G-code file after posting. Quite labor intensive, and needs to be done again whenever I change anything or make something else in the future.

Is there a nice, simple way to rotate path objects or parts such that they carry through to the posted G-code? And while we are on the subject, is mirroring possible?

Thanks in advance.
GeneFC
Veteran

Re: Rotate toolpath

Post by GeneFC »

crap wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:36 pm if I want only the rotated part i need to manually remove the original from the the G-code file after posting.
I am not quite sure of all the variations you are describing, but one way to deal with this specific issue (quoted) is to make the unwanted operation(s) "Inactive" using the icon on the Path toolbar.

Inactive icon.JPG
Inactive icon.JPG (11.9 KiB) Viewed 797 times

Gene
crap

Post by crap »

Thanks for the tip, but I've already tried that and it doesn't work. Setting the original operation to inactive also renders the array copy inactive.
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

Hi,
my workaround for this: I make a copy of the part, flip it and create the Job with this Two parts.
Gruß Herbert
crap

Post by crap »

herbk wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:26 pm Hi,
my workaround for this: I make a copy of the part, flip it and create the Job with this Two parts.
That's the first thing I tried, but I can't make it work. How do you "flip" the part? I've been editing the placement in the data tab and changed the angle to 180 degrees. This does visually flip the part but any paths I make are still generated in the original position of the part.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

crap wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:20 am That's the first thing I tried, but I can't make it work.
Make sure you are looking at the "model" in the Job section, not the original object higher in the tree. I usually make everything above the Job section invisible to avoid working on the wrong item.

The "model" starts out as a clone, but it intentionally does not auto-update so that changes can be made.

Gene
crap

Post by crap »

GeneFC wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:56 pm
Make sure you are looking at the "model" in the Job section, not the original object higher in the tree.
That totally works! Many thanks. This also solves my subquestion of making mirror objects. Apply a negative scaling on the appropriate axis and you have your mirror object right there!