"Process holes" misses a hole, but instead cuts inside of perimeter

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Lupin

"Process holes" misses a hole, but instead cuts inside of perimeter

Post by Lupin »

I have the following part (a "simple copy" of a part design body):
Zwischenablage-1.png
Zwischenablage-1.png (36.66 KiB) Viewed 528 times
I selected the bottom face as base geometry, then created a "path profile" with an outside cut and only "Process holes" checked (no "Process circles" or "Process perimeter"). But as you can see in the image the upper right triangle "hole" is not getting cut, but instead the inside of the perimeter gets a CNC path.

I already tried downgrading it to faces and re-upgraded it to shell and solid, but the result is still the same.
Part -> Check geometry doesn't show errors (but I might be using that check wrong).

As for the "Profile options":
"Use Compensation", "Direction" (CW/CCW), or "Process Circles" (obviously) changes nothing.
"Cut Side" just switches the paths to the opposite side of the respective edges (as expected, but it is still missing the same "hole").
"Process Perimeter" just adds another path to the perimeter (as expected), and not the missed hole (which would be weird, but in this case is double weird, because the perimeter is an inverse hole and a perimeter at the same time).
I can get the profile to work correctly, if I add all the inner vertical faces instead of the bottom face as base geometry. But that defeats the whole purpose of "Process Holes".

Can someone tell me what is wrong with that part and how I can fix it/avoid it in the future? (I have another part where the same happens)

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.29177 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-20
Hash: 68e337670e227889217652ddac593c93b5e8dc94
Python 3.8.10, Qt 5.15.2, Coin 4.0.1, Vtk 8.2.0, OCC 7.6.2
Locale: German/Austria (de_AT)
Installed mods: 
  * Assembly4 0.12.4
  * kicadStepUpMod 10.15.1
  * lattice2 1.0.0
  * Manipulator 1.4.9
  * Part-o-magic 1.0.0
  * PathDressupDogbone.py.mod
  * startup_macros
  * TabBar
  * workfeature
Attachments
path_process_holes_weird.FCStd
(56.01 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
GeneFC
Veteran

Re: "Process holes" misses a hole, but instead cuts inside of perimeter

Post by GeneFC »

Two observations.

* When I deleted the face and then re-added it in the Profile operation the "missing" hole appeared correctly. I do not know why.

* There seems to be some confusion about the orientation of edges in the imported object. I observed different inside vs. outside behavior for various parts of the path. Again, no real idea what that means.

Gene