Masso G3 Post Processers

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
funnyfinger

Masso G3 Post Processers

Post by funnyfinger »

Hi,

I have MASSO G3 CNC Controller and I wanted to generate tool paths for a simple shape, but unfortunately I couldn't find the MASSO G3 Post Processor in the drop down menu in the Job workbench. Can I use an existing "general" post processor ? or I should download it from other sources? or should I write it ?

I have no knowledge in writing codes and I need to work this out. any help in this matter ?

MASSO G3 Controller is used for 4-axis milling machine (currently I have 3), I'm using it to cut stainless steel.

My FreeCAD version is 0.20.1

Attached the FreeCAD file for reference.

regards,
Attachments
DP port adapter 2 CAM.FCStd
(519.24 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
bmsaus4ax

Re: Masso G3 Post Processers

Post by bmsaus4ax »

funnyfinger wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:46 am Hi,

I have MASSO G3 CNC Controller and I wanted to generate tool paths for a simple shape, but unfortunately I couldn't find the MASSO G3 Post Processor in the drop down menu in the Job workbench. Can I use an existing "general" post processor ? or I should download it from other sources? or should I write it ?
This page lists the supported Masso G-codes; it is from 6 August 2020 ? Should be something later than that if it is still developing.
https://docs.masso.com.au/supported-g-codes

Based on this page, the linuxcnc post processor should work but you should deactivate tool length offset ( option --no-tlo ) as the Masso list does not include any offset G-Codes "G40" - "G43" etc.
Last edited by bmsaus4ax on Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jrgalin

Post by jrgalin »

I've been struggling with the issue of a post-processor for Masso on my onefinity Elite Journeyman using Freecad to surface my wasteboard. At the moment, I am using KeneticncBeamicon2. Every time I try to run the .nc file, I get a soft limits error on the Y axis no matter how I set the boundary. I think there is some kind of conflict in the post-processor because I have tried everything else I can find. I then tried the Linux post processor but don't know how to "disable the tlo as recommended below. That time I crashed into the wasteboard on a mock run that was not supposed to touch the surface.

I have run the file setting zero at the center with the sketch centered on zero
I have run the file setting zero at the left front with the sketch bottom left corner set at zero on the xy axis.
I home and zero each time.
I am at a loss after days of trying to get this right. Probably spent 30 hours trying to figure out this problem.

I would value input that could help me solve my problems.

How do I set "no tlo" for the Z axis in the Linux post-processor?
Does Masso have a post-processor I can use and if so, how would I load it into Freecad?
Am I missing something obvious that I just can't figure out?
Finally, I am posting my Freecad mock file. Maybe someone has an idea of what I am doing wrong.
Thanks,
jrg
Attachments
surface from center 2 dryrun 11-13-2023 smaller.FCStd
(23.81 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
bmsaus4ax

Post by bmsaus4ax »

jrgalin wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:24 pm

I have run the file setting zero at the center with the sketch centered on zero
I have run the file setting zero at the left front with the sketch bottom left corner set at zero on the xy axis.
I home and zero each time.
I am at a loss after days of trying to get this right. Probably spent 30 hours trying to figure out this problem.
Do you still get the error if you alter the setup by deselecting "Clear Edges" so that the cut is fully inside the cut area footprint ?

What are the Soft Limit parameter settings ?

How do I set "no tlo" for the Z axis in the Linux post-processor?
in the Arguments field in Output enter " --no-tlo "
Does Masso have a post-processor I can use and if so, how would I load it into Freecad?
Am I missing something obvious that I just can't figure out?
There may still just be a bug in Masso limit logic.
A few years ago when Masso was still fairly new I was helping someone convert a running machine to Masso controller and this error kept coming up doing that spoilboard facing job.
Programming was via Fusion360 using a pocket operation. Like your code the travel was within the machine cut boundary but did include some arc moves. At the time the only thing I could see causing the error was if Masso was taking the "I" and "J" parameters into account and triggering X or Y limit errors. ( which it should not because they are virtual values as far as the machine hardware is concerned, they produce the moves that still fall within the valid table area )

The owner got too frustrated with the process and parked the project before this could be followed up with Masso. I don't know if he ever proceeded.
This should not apply with your code as the are no arc moves.
Finally, I am posting my Freecad mock file. Maybe someone has an idea of what I am doing wrong.
Thanks,
jrg
Except for running with Clear Edges,the code should not be causing you problems.
Try running without Clear Edges which will guarantee you run within the machine foot print, again the code should not be causing you problems.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

jrgalin wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:24 pm I've been struggling with the issue of a post-processor for Masso on my onefinity Elite Journeyman using Freecad to surface my wasteboard.
You did not respond to the ongoing discussion in your other current topic.

In short, your sketch size is not what you said. It is bigger. You did not say what the machine limits are, but you need to get your numbers sorted out before any progress can be made.

Gene
jrgalin

Post by jrgalin »

bmsaus4ax and Gene,
Thanks so much for your help! After a good deal of checking soft limits, trying new configurations with the clean edges off, watching more videos, and then asking the right questions, I figured out the problem. I had measured the center of the work surface from the physical edges of the QCW frame rather than the Journeyman center at 609.5mm 408. I knew it had to be something simple I was overlooking. I can't believe it was so basic. At least I have learned a great deal more about limits, homing, zeroing, and coding over the past several days. I would not have figured this out without your questions and suggestions.
Much appreciated.
cheers,
jrg
CandL

Post by CandL »

From your QCW comment I will assume you have a OneFinity (1F) Elite. I have a 1F Foreman with 2.2 Kw spindle and ATC.

In other posts on this forum they suggest starting the Masso post processor from a Fanuc, so that is what I am doing. So far trivial stuff seems to work fine per Camotics. I would say I am at a pre-alpha stage, but I am working on it.