[Merged] PR #5131: Addon Manager Redesign

Post here if you have re-based and finalised code to integrate into master, which was discussed, agreed to and tested in other forums. You can also submit your PR directly on github.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
onekk
Veteran

Re: PR #5131: Addon Manager Redesign

Post by onekk »

It seems that at least in Qt 5.14 something about markdown is already implement in QtTextEdit widget.

https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtextedit.html#details

https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtextedit.html#markdown-prop
setMarkdown() changes the text of the text edit. Any previous text is removed and the undo/redo history is cleared. The input text is interpreted as rich text in Markdown format.
Some features of the parser can be enabled or disabled via the features argument:
Constant Description
MarkdownNoHTML Any HTML tags in the Markdown text will be discarded
MarkdownDialectCommonMark The parser supports only the features standardized by CommonMark
MarkdownDialectGitHub The parser supports the GitHub dialect
The default is MarkdownDialectGitHub.

This property was introduced in Qt 5.14.

Hope it helps

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

Thanks, Carlo. Since we still have to support Qt 5.9 in this development cycle I can't commit to that path now, but it seems in the future we'll have the option of removing the Markdown library entirely.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
roipoussiere

Post by roipoussiere »

Looks very good, thank you for this work!

Do you think you can also add the relative last commit date? Like "last updated: 2 weeks ago"

It's a useful information to quickly know if an add-on is still maintained.

Mod edit:
issue #4801
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

Not seen this thread before today.

One thing I would like to see is an option for a second branch in an Addon.

Thinking of a main/master branch and a beta branch such that one could develop new features for an Addon which a user could try out and
if problems switch back to the main branch.

I often have a git branch I would like some people to try, but it requires that they are familiar with git and where to find the workbench directory within FreeCAD
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

keithsloan52 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:57 pm One thing I would like to see is an option for a second branch in an Addon.
This is possible right now in two ways:
  1. Add a custom repo with the specific branch you want (the syntax for the custom repos allows branch to be specified after the repo URL)
  2. Via the "official" list of repos by adding a second entry with a specific branch
I could imagine an interface that allows the user to enter/choose a specific git ref (tag, branch, or commit), but that might be overcomplicating things.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

roipoussiere wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:01 pm Do you think you can also add the relative last commit date? Like "last updated: 2 weeks ago"
Good idea, thanks for submitting the tracker ticket (I tend to lose track of suggestions that don't have tickets!). I will add it to my list. It probably won't make it into this PR (which is already far too large), but I'll add it later on.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

chennes wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:45 pm
keithsloan52 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:57 pm One thing I would like to see is an option for a second branch in an Addon.
This is possible right now in two ways:
  1. Add a custom repo with the specific branch you want (the syntax for the custom repos allows branch to be specified after the repo URL)
  2. Via the "official" list of repos by adding a second entry with a specific branch
I could imagine an interface that allows the user to enter/choose a specific git ref (tag, branch, or commit), but that might be overcomplicating things.
Not sure these approaches would be satisfactory. Would require that the 'Clone' for want of a better word would have to have a different workbench name and therefore different workbench icon. So in the developers git repro the beta branch would have these things coded but I see it as a problem when one goes to merge the beta branch with the master/main branch.
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

Oh yeah, that makes good sense. Maybe I can design it so that if multiple repos are set in the metadata file they get presented to the user as options to choose from.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

Thanks to everyone so far for the feedback and testing. I have incorporated many of your suggestions into the current PR, and plan on continuing to work on the Addon Manager after I merge it. I believe I am now at a point where it's ready for a larger test audience, so my plan is to merge it soon, unless there are any last-minute issues that anyone is aware of. If you have time to do a last test before the merge, your help is always appreciated! Thanks!
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System