Sketcher task dialog

Merged, abandoned or rejected pull requests are moved here to clear the main Pull Requests forum.
vocx

Re: Sketcher task dialog

Postby vocx » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:32 pm

kkremitzki wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:52 pm
I would really hope we commit to dropping Qt4/Python2 support during this development cycle so that 0.19 can be Qt5/Python3 only.
Who will make this decision? I don't remember this being centrally discussed, just every now and then somebody mentions this, some people say yeah, and others say, not yet, and so on.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
kkremitzki

Postby kkremitzki » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:41 pm

Ultimately it would probably be Werner when he merges the PR which changes the defaults, but before that it would organically happen by removal of showstopping bugs that are keeping people on Qt 4. All I know in that regard is that, for example, DeepSOIC has mentioned touchscreen support is either better in Qt 4 or just broken in Qt 5. So I guess step one would be identifying which of those showstoppers are still hanging around, and compiling a list of them.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:36 am

As long as we have these frequent problems with graphics cards (black screen etc.) we should keep the Qt4 version. You may contact the driver suppliers or the the Qt people and ask for better support, I'm afraid that FreeCAD cannot do much about it.
uwestoehr

Postby uwestoehr » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:34 pm

kkremitzki wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:41 pm
Ultimately it would probably be Werner when he merges the PR which changes the defaults, but before that it would organically happen by removal of showstopping bugs that are keeping people on Qt 4.
chrisb wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:36 am
As long as we have these frequent problems with graphics cards (black screen etc.) we should keep the Qt4 version.
Can we collect these issues in our Wiki please? I think this helps to keep the overview about the current state.

kkremitzki wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:52 pm
I would really hope we commit to dropping Qt4/Python2 support during this development cycle so that 0.19 can be Qt5/Python3 only.
+1
triplus

Postby triplus » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:44 pm

uwestoehr wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:38 pm
I am baffled because why do we insist that compatibility with Qt 4?
We don't, but if the fix is trivial and somebody is prepared to do it, then it gets done.

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/comm ... e7bb0313ca