PR #2475: Expression syntax extension

Merged, abandoned or rejected pull requests are moved here to clear the main Pull Requests forum.
wmayer
Founder

Re: PR #2475: Expression syntax extension

Post by wmayer »

I have doubts: in Base/Placement.cpp
Nope, the implementation is correct.
meaning that a rotation's inverse() is effectively it's matrice's inverse, but a translation's inverse() is its opposite (negative). Which is of course the correct mathematical operation.
So, your suggestion is to invert the rotation and simply multiply the translation with -1. Here is an example that this is wrong:

Code: Select all

p=App.Placement(App.Vector(1,1,1), App.Rotation(1,0,0,0))
q=App.Placement(-p.Base, p.Rotation.inverted()) # is assumed to be the inverse
p.multiply(q) # should give the identity but it isn't, it's: Placement [Pos=(0,2,2), Yaw-Pitch-Roll=(0,0,0)]

# but
p.multiply(p.inverse()) # gives the expected result: Placement [Pos=(0,0,0), Yaw-Pitch-Roll=(0,0,0)]
The placement describes an affine transformation where a point x is transformed to y. With the given rotation matrix R and the translation t it can be written as:
y = R * x + t

If you want to get the inverse transformation it's a matter of solving the algebraic equation to x:
y = R * x + t
<=>
y - t = R * x, with Q := R**-1, R is always invertible (because its inverse is its transposed) so that Q exists
<=>
Q * (y - t) = Q * (R * x)
<=>
Q * y - Q * t = (Q * R) * x, because matrix multiplication is associative
<=>
Q * y - Q * t = I * x, because Q is the inverse of R, I is the identity matrix
<=>
x = Q * y - Q * t

So, this is an affine transformation with the rotation Q and the translation -Q * t
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

wmayer wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:38 pm
I have doubts: in Base/Placement.cpp
Nope, the implementation is correct.
yes, I know

meaning that a rotation's inverse() is effectively it's matrice's inverse, but a translation's inverse() is its opposite (negative). Which is of course the correct mathematical operation.
So, your suggestion is to invert the rotation and simply multiply the translation with -1. Here is an example that this is wrong:
no, what I'm saying is that the inverse() of a rotation is the inverse of the rotation matrix, and the inverse() of a translation is the opposite (negative) of the translation vector. And that's correct. Because I was talking about pure rotations and translations. Now, these cannot be combined simply, yes, I know.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Okay.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

DeepSOIC wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:34 pm you seem to have missed the second line in the function you quoted, which also acts on translation part of a placement.
no, I didn't miss it: let's see what multVect() does for a rotation:

void Rotation::multVec(const Vector3d & src, Vector3d & dst) const
{
    double x = this->quat[0];
    double y = this->quat[1];
    double z = this->quat[2];
    double w = this->quat[3];
    double x2 = x * x;
    double y2 = y * y;
    double z2 = z * z;
    double w2 = w * w;

double dx = (x2+w2-y2-z2)*src.x + 2.0*(x*y-z*w)*src.y + 2.0*(x*z+y*w)*src.z;
    double dy = 2.0*(x*y+z*w)*src.x + (w2-x2+y2-z2)*src.y + 2.0*(y*z-x*w)*src.z;
    double dz = 2.0*(x*z-y*w)*src.x + 2.0*(x*w+y*z)*src.y + (w2-x2-y2+z2)*src.z;
    dst.x = dx;
    dst.y = dy;
    dst.z = dz;
}
which means that if the rotation quaternion is zero, the destination point is unaffected (dx=dy=dz=0). Meaning that the Placement.inverse() of a pure translation is -Placement .... which is I think correct.

EDIT: no, it's not correct, I was too fast: the quaternion for a 0° rotation is not 0 but identity : (0,0,0,1). Therefore, we don't have dx=dy=dz=0 but dst.x=dx=src.x, dst.y=dy=src.y and dst.z=dz=src.z, in other words dst=src. . Wich still means that the destination point is unaffected.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

realthunder wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:47 am PR link here
I can see in that PR that "Base: add Python number protocol support to Placement/Rotation" has been merged, and indeed in the latest AppImage (FreeCAD_0.19-18227...) it is possible tu use Placements in the ExpressionEngine, like:

Bielle#LCS_1.Placement

but unfortunately it's not possible to do operations on those Placements, like multiplication (*) or inverse (^1).

realthunder wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:21 pm Well, I can add number protocol to Placement too, just like matrix, so you can do something like

Group.<<Box.>>.Placement * Group.<<$Cube.>>.Placement ^ -1
This would be a very important addition to allow Asm4 to work with the merged App::Link of v0.19-pre
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

Zolko wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:39 am I can see in that PR that "Base: add Python number protocol support to Placement/Rotation" has been merged
No, this PR is still open. I have add support to invert the placement (with ^-1).
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

realthunder wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:25 am this PR is still open. I have add support to invert the placement (with ^-1).
I'm sorry if I seem too impatient, but this feature - the ability to multiply and invert Placements inside an ExpressionEngine - would be very important for App::Link. Is there anything I can do to help with this ? This is not strictly an App::Link thing, may-be someone else as realthunder knows how to extend the ExpressionEngine parser ? The underlying maths are already in place (::operator* and .inverse() methods for Base::Placement) so it's really "only" a parser thing (but I don't want to seem to minimize the complexity involved)

wmayer wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:00 pmping
any idea ?
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

FYI, yorik is on vacation...so @wmayer has a lot more workload then he's already used to.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

realthunder force-pushed the realthunder:ExprOp branch from ef65725 to 768a641 yesterday
not sure to understand what that means.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

Zolko wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:39 am
realthunder force-pushed the realthunder:ExprOp branch from ef65725 to 768a641 yesterday
not sure to understand what that means.
I added a new commit to fix a problem. I also force pushed it to rebase it with the current upstream head.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal