[merged] PR #4835 New sketch object rounded rectangle

Post here if you have re-based and finalised code to integrate into master, which was discussed, agreed to and tested in other forums. You can also submit your PR directly on github.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
uwestoehr
Veteran

Re: PR #4835 New sketch object rounded rectangle

Post by uwestoehr »

abdullah wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:23 pm So you mean the new icon in the sketcher toolbar be made into a pseudo-toggle (similar to the construction geometry button or the reference constraints button). So when clicked without a selection, it functions as toggle, setting a status for the creation of the complex geometries that support this function. When clicked with selection, it just works as now. Is this what you mean?
Yes, exactly.

It is unlikely I will be able to code within the next couple of weeks. But I can take a look later on (or if you want to do it yourself I will look into the PR when I have some time).
I will probably also not have time soon. But when you could put it onto your list for the future, it would be nice. 8-)
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

abdullah wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:23 pm Thanks for providing these PRs. All are merged now.
Thanks.
I see now that I lost the changed slot icons while resolving a merge conflict. Can you therefore please also commit this PR: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/4875

Update:
Please also merge this small "fix": https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/4876
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

uwestoehr wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:33 pm
abdullah wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:23 pm Thanks for providing these PRs. All are merged now.
Thanks.
I see now that I lost the changed slot icons while resolving a merge conflict. Can you therefore please also commit this PR: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/4875

Update:
Please also merge this small "fix": https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/4876
Done.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

uwestoehr wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:59 pm I will probably also not have time soon. But when you could put it onto your list for the future, it would be nice. 8-)
Remind me on the last week of July / first of August. I should have some holidays then...
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

abdullah wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:35 pmDone.
uwestoehr wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:33 pm Update:
@abdullah @uwestoehr
this is a great feature that I missed a lot! many many thanks! :D
Maurice
hpbmo

Re: [merged] PR #4835 New sketch object rounded rectangle

Post by hpbmo »

@uwestoehr @abdullah

Thank you both so much for this great enhancement. This saves a lot of time for my designs for 3D printing.

Is there any possibility where I can set this feature as default?

hpbmo
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Uwe and Abdullah: Thank you very much for the work! The final result is great!
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Pauvres_honteux

Post by Pauvres_honteux »

Would this possibly count as FreeCAD's first 3D-manipulator-driven "thingie"-creation tool?
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

Many thanks for you kind feedback.

Concerning 3D-printing, well, rounded rectangles are necessary also for milling since how do you mill a rectangular pocket? - There are always rounded edges in the result due to the milling tool.
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

Thanks from me too!

A little bit offtopic: I wasn't aware of such a need regarding 3D printing. If I'm thinking about it, maybe that's because I usually round my corners to make them feel nicer. But I wouldn't have any problems while.printing them. Am I missing something here?

Regarding milling: Sometimes I create models which take those round inner corners into account. And sometimes I just add something to the drawing to make it clear what radius would be okay or something like that.