[Resolved] PR #4942 new option to show/hide sketcher constraints

Post here if you have re-based and finalised code to integrate into master, which was discussed, agreed to and tested in other forums. You can also submit your PR directly on github.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
openBrain
Veteran

Re: PR #4942 new option to show/hide sketcher constraints

Post by openBrain »

abdullah wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:15 pm
@abdullah, at one time could you please tell us if you plan to work after the remarks or not ? Just to prevent duplicate work. :)
Same please if someone else starts tackling the feedback. ;)
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

openBrain wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:27 am
abdullah wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:15 pm
@abdullah, at one time could you please tell us if you plan to work after the remarks or not ? Just to prevent duplicate work. :)
Same please if someone else starts tackling the feedback. ;)
I think we need to agree on a definition of the requirements of the UI.

I have nothing against changing the UI. From the proposed solutions I do realise that cosmetics, trying to simplify and trying to reduce the size of the dialog play an important role.

However, I see that some of these solutions are coming back to previous development states, by eliminating the UI elements intended to solve those problems. Others propose ideas that are nice, but do not meet some requirements.

On top of that, there are open issues, in functionality, that need an answer before meaningful requirements can be drafted.

I realise that this thread has too much information and I quite agree is not an effective means of development of this feature anymore.

I propose to start the discussion anew from the current UI in master as starting point.

With this in mind, I will open another new thread in the open discussion forum. I will try to:
- explain the challenges that the current UI overcomes and the solutions adopted.
- explain the previous requirements and how many of the solutions proposed do not conform to them.
- explain which are the open issues in the current solution on which I need feedback.

Hopefully, we will be able to come to a common agreement for the UI requirements.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

Frankly I think there is too much continuing fine tuning before most folks (including those in this topic) have even had a good look.

I would let everything rest for a couple of weeks and let more users really try out the options. The current version is already very useful and seems to work without error.

"Perfect is the enemy of Good"

Gene
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

GeneFC wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:27 pm Frankly I think there is too much continuing fine tuning before most folks (including those in this topic) have even had a good look.

I would let everything rest for a couple of weeks and let more users really try out the options. The current version is already very useful and seems to work without error.

"Perfect is the enemy of Good"

Gene
Point taken.

I have no problem in letting it rest for a couple of weeks.

However, I see that people are reacting wanting to contribute (code, new UIs, ...). If I hadn't reacted today showing the reason why the functionality is like it is today, there would be quite a chance that this people would waste their time coding and redesigning for a couple of weeks. By this I do not mean that no redesign should be done. Rather than to redesign it, if it needs be, one needs to know all the requirements. Let it be to lift certain requirements or to adapt to them. I am trying to be helpful.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

M4x wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:32 am I think those buttons are a main feature to be able to quickly show / hide selected constraints while discussing a sketch.
Isn't it even quicker to just have the automated option on and use the filters? Can you give me an scenario were the buttons make more sense? IMO if it's a very niche thing it's not worth having it there.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

adrianinsaval wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:08 pm
M4x wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:32 am I think those buttons are a main feature to be able to quickly show / hide selected constraints while discussing a sketch.
Isn't it even quicker to just have the automated option on and use the filters? Can you give me an scenario were the buttons make more sense? IMO if it's a very niche thing it's not worth having it there.
I do not have a strong opinion.

Those buttons are exactly the OP's requested functionality and the concept he coded in his initial PR (he did it with a checkbox that did have problems, see for example chennes comment in the first or second page of this thread).

As far as I have understood, the usage case is to hide a whole selected filter with "hide listed" button, then selectively show one or two or several, then activate all in the filter again with the button "show listed". All this while showing in the 3D view all other constraints. This cannot be done with the "tracking option", which would hide all the other constraints.

The "tracking option" matches very well an "inspection" scenario. His usage case is "showing a client parts of a sketch".

For this reason, I think it makes sense to ask him (Uwe) directly. But:

I would highly appreciate if discussion could continue in the new thread:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 94#p540194
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

To help with Abdullah's request this topic is locked.

Gene
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

abdullah wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:15 pm You are arguing in circles:
The whole point is that I asked you to make a PR before merging. So what hinders you from doing this? The other devs without merging rights have to do it for all their PRs and here I asked you just because it is much better to work on the UI with a PR. Other devs can checkout the PR and report, test on their different systems etc.
Sure, people like ChrisB then need to wait a little longer before they can test. But since we don't have deadlines, we can take our time.

A statement that PRs are no benefit at all hit me because this implies I am requesting things without benefit. But why are PRs the standard in all software development projects? I don't want to annoy you. I only wanted you to make a PR before you merge, nothing else. I cannot understand why a simple PR request triggers you that much.

I don't want to debate further. For me it is important that can work together. I accept your decision and won't ask for a PR again.

abdullah wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:15 pm I do not like to be biased when I make my decisions. I should treat you (and any other) the same regardless of whether you are a physicist or an engineer....
Why do you want to misunderstand me?
Of course it is an advantage to know each other. We are all humans with different behaviors. And sure, a chemist works different than a linguist. When I e.g. know he is an engineer I know that his works might sound sometimes too straight or even offending but it is not his bad will but the way he is socialized. That helps a lot when debating to not misunderstand each other / taking word personal.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

chrisb wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:15 am Uwe, instead of requiring a PR, you could offer to review PRs.
Exactly this was my intention. I wanted Abdullah to make a PR which can then be reviewed or better said tested. Devs on Mac, Linux and Windows can test it our how it looks for them etc.