[Resolved] PR #4942 new option to show/hide sketcher constraints

Post here if you have re-based and finalised code to integrate into master, which was discussed, agreed to and tested in other forums. You can also submit your PR directly on github.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
M4x
Veteran

Re: PR #4942 new option to show/hide sketcher constraints

Post by M4x »

GeneFC wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:11 pm
chrisb wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:01 am Just dreaming.
That sort of complexity should promote plenty of "Help me" posts in the forum. :lol: [...]
chrisb is securing his "job" :mrgreen:
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

M4x wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:55 am chrisb is securing his "job" :mrgreen:
:lol:
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
wsteffe

Post by wsteffe »

chrisb wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:44 am We know something similar to the concept of virtual spaces from other programs where they are called "Layers"
In my opinion Virtual Space and Layers are a little bit different concepts and we have to decide if we want the first (as it is now) or the latter.
In fact only one Virtual Space may be active at once, while (as you said) you may view several layers at the same time.
If we choose to keep the Virtual Space Model then I do not see why to require that a constraint that is visible in VS2 must be hidden in VS1.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

M4x wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:55 am
GeneFC wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:11 pm
chrisb wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:01 am Just dreaming.
That sort of complexity should promote plenty of "Help me" posts in the forum. :lol: [...]
chrisb is securing his "job" :mrgreen:
I must admit that was my first though too. :mrgreen: sorry Chrisb...
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

uwestoehr wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:37 pm Regarding your other statements it is not clear what you want to do. For me as the users, I only need a way to hide/show from a sketch either all datum constraints or even all constraints. Nothing more.
Long story short

Please, stay a little bit. I have to figure out how different pieces match together before deciding a specific implementation. Give me this week and I will come with something around this PR.

Short story long

-> The Sketcher will have layers for geometry (hopefully before the end of the year). This regulate the visualisation of geometric elements.
-> Constraints will need to adapt visualisation to layers. For example, it makes little sense that when restricting visualisation to one geometry layer, the constraints of geometry of other layers is shown (at least by default).
-> Some Constraints will be cross layers. For example, if in layer one we have the geometry of a master sketch (or part of it), there will be constraints constraining the current sketch (in another layer) to that master sketch (in the other layer). So there will be constraints in several layers (even in three different layers for some symmetry constraints).
-> "Visualisation of constraints" does not pursue the same objective as the "filter" of the constraint widget. The filter is to reduce the searching effort on the widget list. The visualisation relates to de-cluttering and organising the 3D view. However, these it might make sense to allow to selectively tie them both using a checkbox in the constraint widget.

For example, a possible solution (still in evaluation), is to have checkbox (as your checkbox of the PR), with name "lock visualisation to filter selection". The filter has been augmented (sorry for the hijacking of the PR thread but I think this may be related too and form part of the solution). If checked, the constraints that will be shown will restrict to those in the filtered list (possibly according to the current state of hide/show).

I am having all this considerations to try to move forward in the right direction. Sorry it is taking me longer than expected...
C_h_o_p_i_n

Post by C_h_o_p_i_n »

Hello Abdullah,

while I can't say often enough: thank you so very much (!) for your efforts on the sketcher-wb I'd like to ask:
Will the planed/evaluated improvements too offer/establish any possibility to allow sketches to be exported as dxf or into techdraw ?

Could this eventually be taken into account?

Best regards,
Stefan
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

In the same idea of showing/hiding sketcher constraints :
When you prefer geometric other dimension constraints, the same dimension can concern a lot of lines (of course directly by Sketcher_ConstrainEqual, but also indirectly by geometric constrain).
I dream that when selecting one dimension, all lines with the same dimension get highligthed.

Is this dreamable, doable, ... ?
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

abdullah wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:49 pm Short story long
-> The Sketcher will have layers for geometry (hopefully before the end of the year).
Sorry it is taking me longer than expected...
Please don't feel under pressure. We are all not employed by FC thus can take the time we want ;)

Concerning your layer solution, I already use layers. What I had in mind was the simplest possible solution. Therefore I thought a method to just hide/show the different annotations in a single layer.

As I understand you having e.g. a layer for every annotation type (datums, dimensions, etc.) is technically an advantage to offer a quick toggling between showing/hiding the different layers. Sounds good.

So as soon as it is simple - the user must not take care of the different layers and can just press a button or select an option to hide/show annotation, I am happy with every solution.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

Shalmeneser wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:43 pm In the same idea of showing/hiding sketcher constraints :
When you prefer geometric other dimension constraints, the same dimension can concern a lot of lines (of course directly by Sketcher_ConstrainEqual, but also indirectly by geometric constrain).
I dream that when selecting one dimension, all lines with the same dimension get highligthed.

Is this dreamable, doable, ... ?
This is what I love about discussing the features so that the community shapes them... :lol:

That is a little bit more challenging, but I will put it into the list for consideration :D
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

Some sneak peak (with an obvious preexisting bug that combined constraints were not properly showed that needs to be fixed).
Peek 20-09-2021 19-37.gif
Peek 20-09-2021 19-37.gif (346.18 KiB) Viewed 2997 times
How do we shape it further?