[Resolved] PR #4942 new option to show/hide sketcher constraints

Post here if you have re-based and finalised code to integrate into master, which was discussed, agreed to and tested in other forums. You can also submit your PR directly on github.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
GeneFC
Veteran

Re: PR #4942 new option to show/hide sketcher constraints

Post by GeneFC »

chrisb wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:01 am Just dreaming.
That sort of complexity should promote plenty of "Help me" posts in the forum. :lol:

Need to figure out a way to hide the expert stuff from the newbies.

Gene
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

GeneFC wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:11 pm That sort of complexity should promote plenty of "Help me" posts in the forum. :lol:

Need to figure out a way to hide the expert stuff from the newbies.
I'm afraid you are right if this is fully exposed to users, while I had thought about it rather as an implementation idea.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
wsteffe

Post by wsteffe »

GeneFC wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:11 pm That sort of complexity
Which complexity ? is it to have more than two Virtual Spaces ?
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

chrisb wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:01 am
abdullah wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:24 am I will review the filter of the widget.
I may be one of the rare users, who had waited for more virtual spaces. If constraints can be shown in multiple virtual spaces, it could be used to have a virtual space for each type of constraint plus one for all, plus custom user spaces.

Just dreaming.
The extended filter is working now:
Screenshot_20210919_191610.png
Screenshot_20210919_191610.png (77.2 KiB) Viewed 3046 times
I will evaluate the number of virtual spaces with the layer implementation. Maybe there is a way to make it intuitive.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

abdullah wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:18 pm The extended filter is working now:
What a support: Currently you are the king of speed!
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

wsteffe wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:11 pm Which complexity ? is it to have more than two Virtual Spaces ?
Yes.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

abdullah wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:05 pm Looking at the PR functionality, there are some caveats:
- after one hides everything (by checking the checkbox), if one checks one of the individual checkboxes, the constraint is checked (in the list), shown in the 3D view, but the hide/show all listed constraints continues checked.
Thanks for having a look. Now I understand also @chennes request to use a button.
So in fact, yes, a button would make clear that the feature is designed to act only when the button is pressed. I will adapt the PR accordingly as soon as I find time.

Regarding your other statements it is not clear what you want to do. For me as the users, I only need a way to hide/show from a sketch either all datum constraints or even all constraints. Nothing more.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

abdullah wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:18 pm The extended filter is working now:
Screenshot_20210919_191610.png

I will evaluate the number of virtual spaces with the layer implementation. Maybe there is a way to make it intuitive.
Do you have a PR to be able to try this out?
What would be the workflow to e.g. hide all constraints except of the dimensions?
wsteffe

Post by wsteffe »

For sake of simplicity I would keep a Number of 2 Virtual Spaces but, anyway, I would like that they are not mutual exlusive.
I can not see a reason for which a constraint must be hidden in VS1 when it is unhidden in VS2.
In my opinion the visual settings of one Virtual Space should affect the visual settings of the other Virtual Space.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

We know something similar to the concept of virtual spaces from other programs where they are called "Layers". The concept dorsn't seem to be really difficult to understand. I see two concepts of showing things: it is possible to show several layers at once and it is possible to have the same thing on different layers. These are not necessarily mutually exclusive.