[Resolved] PR #4942 new option to show/hide sketcher constraints

Post here if you have re-based and finalised code to integrate into master, which was discussed, agreed to and tested in other forums. You can also submit your PR directly on github.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
-alex-
Veteran

Re: PR #4942 new option to show/hide sketcher constraints

Post by -alex- »

abdullah wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:51 pm It can indeed be my deed. However, I am not sure I understand. Can't you do this?
No I can't. I mean I can stretch it to the right like you do, but when I release the LMB then the right side of the panel go to the left up to the previous position. Hence I can't modify the panel width.

Edit: ok, now it works fine, I moved the task panel to dock it to another side of the screen then it fixed the issue.
Close then run FreeCAD again, no problem. I'm not able to reproduce the issue.
BTW the hide/show and filtering features works fine. Nice job!
Last edited by -alex- on Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

chrisb wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:15 am ...Meanwhile it would be great if other power users could have a look at the new sketcher stuff
Limited testing look good so far.

Have only tested the constraint filtering though.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

chrisb wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:15 am Meanwhile it would be great if other power users could have a look at the new sketcher stuff
I don't exactly what you expect, but will try to help. :)

Regarding new feature, I think it's a good feature but doesn't like much the implementation.
I'd prefer that there is a checkbox in front of "Filter" to enable/disable filtering, disabled by default, all associated settings hidden.
* When you enable filtering by checking the box : associated settings become visible. Settings previously used in the same sketch editing session are preserved (they are lost as soon as sketch editing mode is exited).
* When you disable filtering by unchecking the box, everything is back visible as it was before enabling filtering.
I don't like the "Show only filtered" to be present at 2 places ("Settings" + "Restrict visibility"). Also to me it consumes a lot of space, and also so strongly impact behavior that it shall be immediately visible. So I would implement it just as a toggle button with a symbol (for example an eye and a list) placed near left the "Settings" button. As it is a toggle button, user immediately sees if it's active or not.
"Select multiple" should IMO be enabled only if "Multiple" is selected as a filter.
The way I understand it, PRs are used in a twofold manner
1) To provide code changes from people who cannot merge their changes directly to the code.
2) To provide code changes to (a single or few) other developers for what reason so ever.
1) is totally right. :) For 2), I guess it's up to the power developer (one that has merging rights) to decide if he/she shall do a PR or merge directly.
I try to review the PRs as much as I can, but I lack time currently. So what I do is to focus my review on code reading trying to find things that can not (or hardly) be found by user doing functional tests : under/overflows, unneeded processing, boundary conditions, suboptimal Qt usage, ...
Up to now, it seems pretty useful as I rarely found nothing. But it admittedly wouldn't have been super harmful if code has been merged as is.

I already gave my opinion in the past about increasing community feedback and inclusion. I see 2 possibilities. In any case I find it totally wrong to think that users being able to compile and run PRs is a satisfying user base to say that it represents community.
1) Endorse that FreeCAD dev version is highly stable. In this case, another version (let's call it "greenhouse", I like this word :P) should be created and proposed to the users. This is a lot of work. Having a first filter that ensure PRs aren't unsafe, merge and build for all OSes, then have a second merging process for dev version, ... It looks like a cool idea, but I think it's too much effort for the contributing team right now.
2) Admit that enforcing a super stable dev version isn't so good as it limits pace at which PR are merged and at which community feedback is available. So we can lighten the PR review process (rely on the CI + a human review focusing on fact that code is safe and well written), then "blindly" merge to get more feedback. IMO not so critical as commits can generally be easily reverted if needed. Because of course some users like to have latest features but in a stable release, we could increase pace at which major/minor stable versions are released. This is IMO the way to go ATM.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

chrisb wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:15 am
Just a few words about the rest. This thread is IMO symptomatic of where FreeCAD is slowly sliding currently, and this doesn't look good to me. Tons of pages full of posts hardly related to the topic, that makes useful signal lost in a massive noise.
How would one expect that community users come here and give there feedback ? I won't. Really need to read 20 pages cluttered by posts that are several screen long, repeat themselves again and again arguing that one's need should represent community wish depending on who he/she is...
Not serious, too selfish. Especially when your nick comes with a particular color.

Want to show openness to community ? Developers meeting ??? Make the schedule public, publish minutes and offer community a way to react. If possible without effort, have public meetings where guests can only listen.

To be honest, I don't like much what I see. But maybe problem is my eyes. ;)
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

I won't get into philosophy.

I just compiled the latest version on Windows, through commit 26153. I do not care much about the exact details of buttons, etc, but everything I tried seemed to work just fine.

I did not have any issue with resizing the window. I suspect that could be related to stylesheets.

A valuable addition. :!: :!:

Gene
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

Text is cutted.
Attachments
Capture du 2021-10-14 21-32-23.png
Capture du 2021-10-14 21-32-23.png (10.7 KiB) Viewed 3467 times
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

openBrain wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:08 pm Really need to read 20 pages cluttered by posts that are several screen long, repeat themselves again and again arguing that one's need should represent community wish depending on who he/she is...
Yeah this stuff should be split to a different topic
Want to show openness to community ? Developers meeting ??? Make the schedule public, publish minutes and offer community a way to react. If possible without effort, have public meetings where guests can only listen.
Maybe it's not necessary to make them absolutely public but at least an announcement of what was discussed and the results of said meetings would be nice, otherwise only a handful of people know what's up and the rest feels left out and don't understand how things are going. In the end you're all volunteers so do as you please but that is my opinion in case you care about it.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

Multiple filter selection :
* [APPLY] to modify without leaving
* show hierarchy :

Code: Select all

[ ] All
[ ] └-Geometric
[ ]   └-Coincident
[ ]    └-Point on Object

[ ] └-Datum
[ ]   └-Distance
[ ]      └-Horizontal
[ ]      └-Vertical
[ ]   └-Circle/Arc
[ ]       └-Radius
[ ]       └-Weight
[ ]       └-Diameter
[ ]   └-Angle
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

how do you feel about an UI like this:
Screenshot_20211014_221258.png
Screenshot_20211014_221258.png (12.97 KiB) Viewed 3368 times
(quick muck-up, haven't looked at the code so no PR incoming any time soon)
The AutoView checkbox should have a tooltip giving a proper explanation of the functionality and IMO the show/hide buttons will rarely be needed with all the filtering options available so I removed them.
One could save even more space by putting al the checkboxes inside a menu besides the "Multiple" button. Or maybe a pushbutton that shows the checkboxes in the widget itself.
Also the "Multiple" button could be removed in favor of the dropdown entry for it.
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

adrianinsaval wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:21 am [...] IMO the show/hide buttons will rarely be needed with all the filtering options available so I removed them.
[...]
I think those buttons are a main feature to be able to quickly show / hide selected constraints while discussing a sketch.