FEM on Mac OSX

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

santacruz

Re: FEM on Mac OSX

Post by santacruz »

Thanks bernd. I'm already participating at that thread and I found the video really helpful.
But I think I need some much more simplified tutorial since I don't even know how to model a solid to mesh.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

santacruz wrote:Ok I resolved.
Could you please tell us how you solved the problem. Others may have it too.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
santacruz

Post by santacruz »

chrisb wrote:
santacruz wrote:Ok I resolved.
Could you please tell us how you solved the problem. Others may have it too.
I simply added the right path in the fem preference pane.
In my case, homebrew installed Calculix in /usr/local/Cellar/calculix-ccx/2.11_2/bin/ccx_2.11
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Thank you!
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Bernard

Post by Bernard »

Thanks for this thread!
I was able to run FEM now on my Mac. :D

In order to prevent that other users spend also much time and fall into the same pitfalls on trying to compile and so on, I think it is time for a summary of my experiences (only the part that worked ;) ). I was terribly missleaded by the informations in the user hub in the install section for Mac OsX. I would like to summarize the final simple solution to FEM (CalculiX) that works on my Mac FreeCAD now without any compilation work:
  • I use the latest release I could get from Git see https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Download

. Please note that this is the Qt5 release and its updated frequently now :D No need to compile FreeCAD on you own unless you want to develop something. The Qt4 is no more updated since a while according to:
    peterl94 wrote: ↑
    Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:28 am
    Note that the date of the github release is not updated because the new builds are always uploaded to the same release. Go by the revision of the builds instead. Also note that the qt4 build is no longer updated.

My configuration:

Word size of OS: 64-bit
    Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
    Version: 0.17.12560 (Git)
    Build type: Release
    Branch: (HEAD detached at 71836f4)
    Hash: 71836f4b37a29c1ee54b1bd681cb9b687901cc96
    Python version: 2.7.14
    Qt version: 5.6.2
    Coin version: 4.0.0a
    OCC version: 7.1.0
    Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)
  • With brew I installed calculix by typing 'brew install calculix-ccx' in a Terminal window on my Mac. Make sure to do so as administrator or place "sudo " before the comand and enter the administrators password if requested
  • After starting FreeCAD I had to change the preferences of the standard ccx binary path of calculiX to
    /usr/local/Cellar/calculix-ccx/2.13/bin/ccx_2.13
    Please be aware that the FEM section of the preferences will only be awailable after you started the FEM workbench in the FreeCAD session.

and that's it, you may test the FEM workflow now as I did.

If any of you can confirm that this works on your OsX too, we may suggest to uptdate the Wikis:

https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Download
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/FEM_Install

And now I enjoy my new functionality of FreeCAD and the great work of the developpers. Thanks a lot!
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Thanks for sharing this. I bookmarked it for future reference when I finally start with FEM.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

@Bernard:

Thanks very much for sharing sharing this informations. I'm gone update the wiki in this regard. A question is left. Is netgen FEM mesher included in the OSX build? Do you have GMSH FEM mesher installed too?
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

Bernard wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:27 am I was terribly missleaded by the informations in the user hub in the install section for Mac OsX.
FEM development is fast, much faster than creation of dokumentation. Last ubuntu mentioned on this wiki is 15.04 :shock: There is a simple reason. ATM there is noone doing any FEM documantation work at the wiki. The best resource for FEM if you stick somewhere ist this part of the forum.

bernd
Bernard

Post by Bernard »

NetGen is included in the OsX build and works without any changes. GMSH works also fine without changes! Z88? I d'ont know yet. Any hints are welcome. I do not know on how to test this yet.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Relevant: FEM documentation missing on the Wiki https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=20823
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs