Topology optimization

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

fandaL

Re: Topology optimization

Post by fandaL »

uwestoehr wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:00 pm I am stepping through the release announcement of FC 0.19 to update the Wiki accordingly. This way I found this feature.

When using the addon manager I don't find a macro named "Beso". Can you please add it so that beso can be installed via the AddonManager?

I can use the macro but as it is, it needs some work until everything is set up. Thus having Beso in our addon manager would be very helpful.
Hopefully, I will look at it by the end of the next week.
uwestoehr wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:43 pm One remark: after starting the optimization, Windows steps quickly in telling me the application is not responding. It attempts to stop it. Can you therefore please have a look. The program needs of course a lot of time until it finished the calculation, but it must tell the OS that it is still alive.
This would be more difficult for me.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

fandaL wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:31 pm Hopefully, I will look at it by the end of the next week.
That would be great. Thanks.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

fandaL wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:31 pm This would be more difficult for me.
You can alway do the same as Solid works. Since version 2019 or so it gives messages that it is busy and not not responding
fandaL

Post by fandaL »

uwestoehr wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:36 pm
fandaL wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:31 pm Hopefully, I will look at it by the end of the next week.
That would be great. Thanks.
Now it works without freezing FC and graphs are continuously plotted on the background as iterations go on (tried on Linux and Windows).

As regards adding to the Addon Manager, I was wondering what would be the best (standard) approach? Does it work in the way that I would copy the python files to https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-macros duplicating the code from my repository and create new wiki page which links to other description?
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

fandaL wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:48 pm Now it works without freezing FC and graphs are continuously plotted on the background as iterations go on (tried on Linux and Windows).
Many thanks!

As regards adding to the Addon Manager, I was wondering what would be the best (standard) approach?
I think Beso should rather be a workbench than a macro, because it is more than only macro file. I think Kunda1 (Luzpaz on Github) knows all the details on how to make Beso a FreeCAD addon. Kunda can you please help us out here?

Kunda1 wrote: .
johnwang
Veteran

Post by johnwang »

uwestoehr wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:48 pm I think Beso should rather be a workbench than a macro, because it is more than only macro file.
Both workbench and macro are add on to FreeCAD.
There is registered and non-registered add on.
For registered, there is included in FreeCAD and 3rd party one.
hfc series CAE workbenches for FreeCAD (hfcNastran95, hfcMystran, hfcFrame3DD, hfcSU2 and more)
jtm2020hyo

Post by jtm2020hyo »

fandaL wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:24 pm
https://github.com/fandaL/beso
look impressive, could this be used for reinforced concrete?
fandaL

Post by fandaL »

Not perfectly, but it should be possible, since the algorithm works on simple principle of switching between two (or theoretically even more) materials according to strain energy (when stiffness is maximized). The default settings, which are generated by the FreeCAD gui macro, are that these materials are solid (meaning real material from ordinary FreeCAD definition) and void material (6 orders softer than real material). You can generate optimization configuration file and modify these materials (it corresponds to CalculiX input), e.g. orthotropic instead of isotropic, representing reinforced concrete. It can also switch between softer and stronger material, say concrete and steel. As a result, it can give you some engineering view, even though I would not call it real optimum.
jtm2020hyo

Post by jtm2020hyo »

Sound very interesting, I was searching this for years, could you give us a sample? With something simple its ok
jtm2020hyo

Post by jtm2020hyo »

something like this:

https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Analysis_of ... ith_FEM/en

... here the white lines should be rebars