Why are Neumann BCs mandatory?

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

bernd
Veteran

Re: Why are Neumann BCs mandatory?

Post by bernd »

guys, I got your points! But I will need some time to play an make some models to test what you have described.

Mhh I'm structural engineer. Buildings have self weight in z-direction with a fixed acceleration, they have loads and fixes, all well defined ... I never had model like you described but it totally make sense to me.

bernd
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

bernd wrote:
bernd wrote:we need to check if really a strain and not a fixed was applied (the displacement constraint could be both). ...
I need to adapt the pre checks in this regard,
done. Would be coold if you guys could give it a try.

branch:
https://github.com/berndhahnebach/FreeC ... constraint

commit:
https://github.com/berndhahnebach/FreeC ... 012bcabb87
Just to get it the rigth way. From my point of view the only case which is not handled by the implementation above is no constraint fix, no constraint force or pressure or self weight, just constrained displacement and all is free and no imposed displacement. Thus Calculix does not return an error but results are zero. (I'm structural engineer. This would be a building flying around it space :mrgreen: YEAH it is the russian MIR space station :mrgreen: ). It is what Sgrogan described. But may be Jeremy is on the right track and we should just let the user decide an delete the force displacement pre check at all.

Ahh could you check the file attached, it calculates without error in ccx but the results are different from what I would expect.

bernd
Attachments
wrong_move.fcstd
(19.23 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

Usually an object is not flying that's true. But in a lot of engineering situations the Free situation is what they want to know. just because it don't have any interactions.
The worst case is that the first 6 eigen modes are around 0 Hertz.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

kuroshivo

Post by kuroshivo »

bernd wrote:
bernd wrote:
bernd wrote:we need to check if really a strain and not a fixed was applied (the displacement constraint could be both). ...
I need to adapt the pre checks in this regard,
done. Would be coold if you guys could give it a try.

branch:
https://github.com/berndhahnebach/FreeC ... constraint

commit:
https://github.com/berndhahnebach/FreeC ... 012bcabb87
Just to get it the rigth way. From my point of view the only case which is not handled by the implementation above is no constraint fix, no constraint force or pressure or self weight, just constrained displacement and all is free and no imposed displacement. Thus Calculix does not return an error but results are zero. (I'm structural engineer. This would be a building flying around it space :mrgreen: YEAH it is the russian MIR space station :mrgreen: ). It is what Sgrogan described. But may be Jeremy is on the right track and we should just let the user decide an delete the force displacement pre check at all.
Without _any_ Dirichlet BC, the solver will fail. There is no way to solve the floating MIR. If you set one Dirichlet BC (no matter if it is homogeneous or not) but the solid may still rotate as a rigid body, then depending on how the solver handles singular matrices, it can work or fail. If you insert the appropriate boundary conditions in order to remove all rotations, the matrix should become non-singular and have an unique solution.
bernd wrote: Ahh could you check the file attached, it calculates without error in ccx but the results are different from what I would expect.
bernd
This is like my example above. The beam is allowed to rotate around the main axis. There are infinite solutions, but the solver manages to find one (good for CalculiX in this one). That is what happens with FIno https://www.seamplex.com/fino also.

Bernd, I will try you branches and let you know.

--
jeremy
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

jeremy it's in official master already.
kuroshivo

Post by kuroshivo »

bernd wrote:jeremy it's in official master already.
yes, I already found out :-)

It works as expected. It is now my turn to add support for Fino for an alternative to CalculiX...
Attachments
works.png
works.png (311.52 KiB) Viewed 1492 times
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

kuroshivo wrote: Imit t is now my turn to add support for Fino for an alternative to CalculiX...
Yeah go for it! Have you seen the femsolverelmer branch on my gitgub. It may help to get started.