FEM object types

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

HarryvL
Veteran

Re: FEM object types

Post by HarryvL »

Bernd, I have a little practical project in mind where I need to mix elements (pedestrian bridge). It will test the practical "modal" vibration capabilities of FC and CCX. Do I need to "branch" and compile the whole FreeCAD suite in your above post or can I just copy some of your python files into my active FC working directories? This is new territory for me. I have managed to fork, download and fully compile FreeCAD as a test before, but this may not be required for what I want? Thanks. Harry
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

As what i remember python files can just copied to the freecad/mod/fem/ folder as long as they don't have C++ references.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

https://github.com/berndhahnebach/FreeC ... ixedmeshes rebased it on master. The problem is the mesh viewprovider to display the mixed meshes has C++ changes. Means to view the mixed mesh you would need to compile my branch. To run the mixed meshes you only need the changes from the last two commits.

bernd
HarryvL
Veteran

Post by HarryvL »

Thanks. I will give it a try. :shock:
HarryvL
Veteran

Post by HarryvL »

Compiling your branch at the moment. Only 34% at 45 minutes :shock: Is there a way to selectively compile and link only those files that are updated? I guess I show my ignorance of git branching principle here :oops:
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

there is only one C++ file different. Means if you start from a compiled FreeCAD master, fetch my repo check out the femmixedmeshes, recompile, it will take around 20 seconds, may be 10 s or 30, depending on your machine :mrgreen:
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

nevermind we all had to learn git. We all did sooner or later, we all have been trying to ignore git because it is difficault if you gone start, but once you got it you will never ever give it back :mrgreen:
HarryvL
Veteran

Post by HarryvL »

Urrrrrrr ... "fetch my repo check out the femmixedmeshes," ???

I did: git clone https://github.com/berndhahnebach/FreeCAD_bhb.git FC_MM

How do I "fetch your repo" and "check-out the femmixedmeshes"?
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

HarryvL wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:31 am Urrrrrrr ... "fetch my repo check out the femmixedmeshes," ???

I did: git clone https://github.com/berndhahnebach/FreeCAD_bhb.git FC_MM

How do I "fetch your repo" and "check-out the femmixedmeshes"?
Fetching the repo is just what you did, 'git clone ...'. The 'check out' part means to check out a branch - you can do that with 'git checkout <branch name>' and show the branches with 'git branch --list' (or just view them on Github.) By default you're on the master branch, so when you're done just do 'git checkout master' again to get back.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
HarryvL
Veteran

Post by HarryvL »

Thanks @kkremitzki

@Bernd, I looked at your vol_shell_edge--fem-force_vertex.fcstd case study and see that you manage to combine the various "primitives" in a BooleanFragments object (by the way: you leave Mode to Standard?). When I try this on a simple example (below and attached) I get

Code: Select all

Computing the result failed with an error: 

{'swhat': 'GFA is available only in OCC 6.9.0 and up.', 'sfunction': '', 'btranslatable': False, 'sfile': '', 'sclassname': 'N4Base14AttributeErrorE', 'breported': True, 'sErrMsg': 'GFA is available only in OCC 6.9.0 and up.', 'iline': 0}

Click 'Continue' to create the feature anyway, or 'Abort' to cancel.
TestMM_1.png
TestMM_1.png (178.14 KiB) Viewed 1508 times
TestMM_1.fcstd
(8.77 KiB) Downloaded 40 times

Could you please share the workflow for your example in a few bullet points?

Thanks, Harry

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13470 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 656a669cb0dc3d2d3becf20a5330531233b56834
Python version: 2.7.12
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)