Split Menubar

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

m42kus

Split Menubar

Postby m42kus » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:07 am

Hello,

I have a proposal concerning the organisation of the menubar. The problem I see is that it's quite crowded and hard to navigate. Sometimes it doesn't even fit on my notebook screen. To make things worse I'm going to add new constraints and other new stuff as part of my GSoC project in the near future.

In my opinion a reorganisation of the menubar is nessesary.
I would suggest something like this:
menus.png
menus.png (115.19 KiB) Viewed 1029 times
Two main things changed here: The split at the "top level" into "Analysis", "Mesh" and "Postprocessing" and the grouping of constraints by the type of the physics in which they can be used. The split at the toplevel makes the menus smaller and in my opinion easier to use. The grouping of the constraints is a unavoidable because of the hopefully growing number on constraints that will be avaliable in the future. A third minor change is the inclusion of vtk postprocessing into the menubar.

What do you think about that change?

Regards,
Markus
My GSoC Devlog: ceeli.github.io/gsoc
bernd

Re: Split Menubar

Postby bernd » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:23 am

Thanks for the proposal. Since we have spoken about this you know my opinion already, I'm with you!

Three remarks from my point:

instead of Static constraints I would use Mechanical constraints because with these constraints one could do a static analysis, a frequency analysis, a buckling analysis, a dynamical analysis ... But they all are Mechanical constraints.

The menu entries should prefix with FEM to make clear we are in FEM module

Why not use the classic FEM grouping:
FEM pre
FEM mesh
FEM solve
FEM post

m2c bernd I'm curious what others say
m42kus

Postby m42kus » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:46 pm

Hi, thanks for the feedback. You're right, mechanical constraints make much more sense. I also like the idear of putting solver and run commands in a separate menu in between of mesh and post/results.

Not sure if I like the FEM prefix on every menu though... looks a little weird in my eys... maybe someone else would like to comment on that too?

Now to the names themselves: "Mesh" and "Solve" fit very well I think. Pre and Post or Preprocessing and Postprocessing look very similar. Also Preprocessing is a term with many different meanings in FEM. I quite like the terminology used by Comsol Multiphysics. Their way of structuring the analysis is a similar to how we do it and they name the menus Physics, Mesh, Study and Results.

Physics, Mesh, Solve and Results are easy to distinguish and would fit FreeCAD FEM well in my opinion.

Here are a few screenshots of different naming styles I played with:
fem_menu_bernd.png
fem_menu_bernd.png (42.15 KiB) Viewed 990 times
menu_bernd.png
menu_bernd.png (41.86 KiB) Viewed 990 times
fem_menu_me.png
fem_menu_me.png (36.58 KiB) Viewed 990 times
menu_me.png
menu_me.png (44.58 KiB) Viewed 990 times
Which one do you like best?
drei

Postby drei » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:39 pm

As a user, I would very much like to use your first proposal. Looks really clean and easy to understand. Second best would be Comsol commands with the FEM prefix.
Need help? Feel free to ask, but please read the guidelines first
ickby

Postby ickby » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:20 pm

I like the classical fem grouping, "pre, mesh, solve, post". But without the FEM prefix, that is unneeded. Annother thing to consider: I would like to see that the toolbars are split in the exact same manner as the menues. Currently the toolbar is also too large.
m42kus

Postby m42kus » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:24 pm

Well, now we have 4 different opinions with four different people :lol:
ickby wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:20 pm
I would like to see that the toolbars are split in the exact same manner as the menues. Currently the toolbar is also too large.
Yes! Thats a great idea.
m42kus

Postby m42kus » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:19 pm

ickby wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:20 pm
I would like to see that the toolbars are split in the exact same manner as the menues. Currently the toolbar is also too large.
toolbar.png
toolbar.png (63.19 KiB) Viewed 890 times
Toolbar is now split into multiple bars. As you can see on the screenshot the different groups (Mechanical, thermal, ...) of constraints also have separate toolbars. This way the user can choose which toolsbars he wants to show/hide depending on what physics he uses most often. An alternative abbroach would be to add submenus to the toolbar just like I did it in the menubar. But I think that would not be as useful and would effectively make the menubar redundant.

For now I kept the naming suggested by bernd and liked by ickby. I'm generally happy with it. The only thing I don't like is the name "Pre". It's so small that I missed it a few times with my cursor and looks very similar to Post. Any suggestions for a different name? Or is everyone else happy with "Pre"?
bernd

Postby bernd » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:56 pm

No, no happyness here so far :) Just would like to throw in pre and post are very difficault to translate into something meaningful in other languarges ...

How about:

- Model
- Mesh
- Solve
- Results

I do not like the Physics of Comsolt that much. Now one in our area would say physics to set up a mechanical FEM model. It is even less meaningfull if translated into German.

Hey where are the FEM guys? Opinions needed?

Bernd
fandaL

Postby fandaL » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:38 pm

bernd wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:56 pm
- Model
- Mesh
- Solve
- Results
I didn't want to be a 5th person with a 5th opinion, but Bernd just guessed my preference :-)
HoWil

Postby HoWil » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:50 pm

bernd wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:56 pm
How about:

- Model
- Mesh
- Solve
- Results
I am fine with it.
Br Howil